• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question on installing my 2" drop springs

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have some 2" drop roush springs that I am planning on installing within the next few days on my '02. My question is can i just unhook the swaybar, shocks and lower ball joint and swing the whole spindle upwards and the lower control arm down and put in the spring that way without removing all of the brake parts and the spindle?

Delta88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Automatic
I see this question has been here a while but, in case you never got an answer, I recently installed Western Chassis 2" drop coils in my '05 and it was dead simple. With the front on stands, and placing a floor jack under the lower control arm, disconnecting the sway bar end link and tie rod end, and removing the brake caliper and ABS sensor, I then removed the clamp bolt that holds the spindle to the upper ball joint. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the ball joint stud separated from the spindle. In my youth I disassembled plenty of 60's and 70's GM cars to change coils or convert to disc brakes. Separating the ball joints from the spindle was always the trickiest part. Anyway, all that was left was to lower the jack and gently pry the spring loose, allowing it to simply drop out onto the driveway.

Obviously, installation of the replacement coils was even easier due to their shorter overall length. The whole job took less than 2 hours for both sides with the second sie going much faster, of course.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Easy to separate the upper from the spindle? How? I spent 1-1.5 hours on that by itself when I did my lower ball joints on the 99. Maybe mine were just stuck worse. Ofcourse being a 99 with 150K miles probably didn't help.

Delta88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Automatic
Easy to separate the upper from the spindle? How? I spent 1-1.5 hours on that by itself when I did my lower ball joints on the 99. Maybe mine were just stuck worse. Ofcourse being a 99 with 150K miles probably didn't help.
That must have been the difference. My '05 has about 30k miles so things haven't had a chance to "weld" themselves together so much. I used a little spray lube, removed the pinch bolt and the spindle nearly fell out on it's own. After cleaning everything up for reassembly, I used a small dab of anti-seize where the stud goes into the upper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals