• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cranking the torsion bar

99 Off-Road Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if someone could please give me all the details about cranking the torsion bars from problems to result please give me all details thanks to all

TMarsh04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked out the page in the Tech Library? There are also a number of other sites you can google that will give you detailed directions on the relatively simple lift. Just keep in mind that cranking will increase the CV joint angles resulting in premature wear.

Here's the link to the Tech Library page:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TorsionBar.html

Here's another link that shows pictures of the entire process including replacement of the keys. It's on a Chevy, but it's practically the same process and it describes a few of the problems caused buy cranking in a bit more detail:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/offroad/65871-ford-keys-torsion-bar-cranking-replacing-tech.html

Last edited:

99 Off-Road Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks TMarsh04 if anyone else has any post im taking all the info i can get

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Don't do it. Unless you just want to look cool.

A body lift is a cheap way to fit some bigger meats with out trashing ride quality.

It's stiff as a wash board and no flex.

I'm only cranked to clear the 35s till the sas is finished

Last edited:

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally enjoy the ride quality with it being a little stiffer. Cranking the bars 1.5" does not trash the ride quality at all.

Also, the wear is negligible. I'm still riding on factory ball joints and tie rods at 128K, and my CVs are still the OE ones. As for the flex, the front suspension lacks flex from the factory. I wouldn't worry about it.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I cranked mine in August and have put almost 7k miles on it. The ride is slightly rougher, but then again, you do have have a 4x4, not a cadillac. Be careful you turn both bolts the same amount, or your truck will not sit level. It only took 3 turns of each bolt to make my FX4 sit level.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I cranked mine 1.5" over 70,000 mile ago and the ride did not change at all. All the suspension components are original and showing no signs of wear yet.

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
heya folks Heres my .02 cents. When I cranked mine i did notice the ride got stiffer, not bad if the roads u drive on dont have lots of pot holes. My wife hates to ride in my truck now. But it looks much better and clears the 33 with np, but also has the body lift. As far as wearing out parts I havent had any trouble with any suspensionor or cv joints at all. Rangers just look so much sweeter when they are cranked and if all u have to deal with is a little harsher ride then it has my vote.

Kieth 2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I found the ride a small bit rougher? not enough to worry about. Like it was said;its a 4x4 not a caddy? I cranked mine in almost all the way and was able to put 33s under it. I did have to remove the mud flaps. no body lift yet will in spring. I'm getting rubbing on sway bar if turning to hard. Take it in for front end alinement after your done I did it was still with in factory spec. but it was worth the peace of mind? Make sure you want to do it first the bolts have a glue on them from the factory so to loosen them back off they will have to be replaced! I SAY GO FOR IT I DID WITH NO PROBLEMS TO REPORT!

Black06S197

Like someone said earlier. If you are doing it just for looks, go ahead and crank them. But if you plan on doing any hardcore wheeling, then forget it. Being cranked makes for less suspension travel, so instead of flexing through holes and ruts, it will just bounce. You will find it especially difficult to climb steep hills if they are even the slightest bit rough because the front end will bounce and you will lose traction. I found this out the hard way.

For looks, go ahead and crank away.

For wheeling, don't even think about it!

Just my .02

-Dave

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Yes! I got some what quoted!

If you're in it for looks, head over to ranger-forums IMO

God, I hate that place

Waaaaayyyyy too many show trucks.

And I'd rather ride nose down with someflex then ride as stiff as wash board and level

I'm done.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like someone said earlier. If you are doing it just for looks, go ahead and crank them. But if you plan on doing any hardcore wheeling, then forget it. Being cranked makes for less suspension travel, so instead of flexing through holes and ruts, it will just bounce. You will find it especially difficult to climb steep hills if they are even the slightest bit rough because the front end will bounce and you will lose traction. I found this out the hard way.

For looks, go ahead and crank away.

For wheeling, don't even think about it!

Just my .02

-Dave
In my experience that simply isn't true. Again, flex is negligible on these trucks, they don't have any from the factory. Cranking the bars 1.5" is not going to change much. I've wheeled my truck this way for a while, and have had no problems "flexing" over what I've needed to. You can't do "hardcore" wheeling with the stock IFS, it simply lacks the flex needed.

Crank them away, you'll be fine. I've never encountered an issue where I couldn't go over something with my bars cranked than if they weren't.

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I had my T-bars cranked 6 yrs ago, and I just recently removed the swaybar and the ride softend up, and after 204,000 miles my right front CV shaft has finally gone out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals