• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cel

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to work last night and the CEL came on. Stopped by Advance Auto Parts this morning to see what code was sent. The guy told me it's a vacuum leak. Didn't give me a number, and I was to tired to ask. Came home, took the gas cap off, and reinstalled it. Disconnected the battery and hooked it back up after a minute. CEL is still on. Looked at the PCV hose on top of the valve cover, and the hoses to the brake booster. All look good, no cracks or splits. Any ideas on where to look for a leak? Truck is a '00 Ranger, 2.5L and 5 speed manual transmission.

Thanks,

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Really would be helpfull if you had the code number.

Is it running bad or is just the check engine light on?

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Truck is running smooth, averaging 24 to 27mpg's depending on weather. I plan on stopping at a different store Tuesday to see if I can get a code number. When the light came on I was doing a steady 65mph.

The guy at Advance seemed sort of put out when I asked for him to try and pull a code.

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Post the code when you get it pulled again. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: Stopped by O'Reilly Auto Parts this morning for another read. They pulled code P0455, Emission Control System Gross Leak. I've got a locking gas cap on it, been on for a year. I have 130 miles since the last fill up, used 1/4 tank of gas. took the gas cap off, and didn't see any cracks in the seal.

On the way to work last night about 8 miles, the engine started racing when the clutch was pushed in and the gas pedal released. Turned the truck off and restarted it, idled normal. Same thing happened this morning on the way home. Since I don't have a tach, I don't know how high the rpm's got.

Due to the engine starting to race makes it unsafe, so it will have to sit until I get it figured out.

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wound up replacing the IAC, so far so good. This past winter the truck had a whine under acceleration, sounded like a small supercharger. After changing the IAC it disappeared. Could be it's been going bad slowly for a while.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to thread jack or anything, But I am getting a small whine from my truck, just like the one you described. I think it sounds cool, but does this mean that me IAC may be going bad?

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to thread jack or anything, But I am getting a small whine from my truck, just like the one you described. I think it sounds cool, but does this mean that me IAC may be going bad?
Hard to say. During the winter is when my truck developed that whine under acceleration. I don't hear it anymore after changing the IAC.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals