• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bolting the trans to the engine

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
Update, I got the new engine installed in my truck last night, But then a problem arose. I had to spin the motor so that I could get the tourque converter bolts lined up into the flywheel. It spun fine by hand, later after I had bolted the trans to the motor I needed to tighten the bolts to the torque converter. I tried to spin the motor by hand and no spin, I then tried to spin with a socket and no luck. I took out the spark plugs and tried spinning the motor again and no luck. I loosened the 2 bottom bolts on the trans to engine and it spun over. I am now concerned that this will eventually cause damage down the road if this is left this way.. Any ideas of what this could be and if this will be ok to leave like this?

thanks

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
your convertor is not lined up in your trans pump all the way

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
Will it be ok for me to drive to the trans shop and have the fix it?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought serious damage would happen if the transmission is installed to the engine without the torque converter fully engaged upon install?

I just did a Mercury Mystique transmission and made damn sure the converter was fully engaged into the fluid pump of the tranny. The manual even states that serious damage will incur if this step is not done.

Allen

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
that's what I am trying to find out, not really sure but it fired up and ran. I just didn't try to drive it. The top 4 bolts are all the way tightened, it was just the bottom 2 bolts that i had to turn 1/4 turn loose.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't drive the truck without the converter securely fastened to the flexplate. Bad things can happen, usually ending with the transmission taking a dump.

As was mentioned before, it sounds like the converter is not seated correctly. You have to wiggle them as you put them on until it "clicks" and seats into the correct position.

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
I do have the 4 bolts attached to the flex plate from the torque converter, the 4 bolts from the engine to the tranny at top fastened securely, I went back outside and tightened one of the 2 bottom bolts securely and turned the motor over by hand "worked this time", i was going to tighten the last one again to see if it would work but I did not want to drop the starter motor tonight. I will try tomorrow, I will also make sure the 4 bolts for the torque converter to the flex plate are tight still after tightening the 1 lower engine to trans bolt. I sure as hell hope this works as I have the whole engine buttoned up except that 1 bolt, I really don't want to have to remove the engine AGAIN... Probably would be easier to tow it to a trans shop and have them realign everything if it doesn't work.

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
One more thing I read that once you tighten the first flexplate bolt to the torque converter it should bring it in 3/8 of an inch, about what I was off I am assuming, that might be the reason that I could get that other bolt on last night. It seems that the convertor is seated pretty close. Do you think that from me starting the engine it could have popped in place or could it be from me installing the torque converter bolts to the flexplate?? I wanna drive this thing tonight

Thanks everyone

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
When installing an automatic transmission you start by inserting the torque converter into the trans.

There is enough clearance so that when the engien and trans are bolted together the torque converter can be rotated independently from the flex plate to align the two together....

If you did it some other way, it's possible, even likely that you dammaged the front pump in the transmission.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals