• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some quick help

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
yea, all you guys that got the 2001+ 2.3 duratec...

ive been reading about the loud tick that these motors have... but mine is really bad. i can hear it ticking from ~25 feet away with the hood closed... i can hear it in the cab with the doors and windows shut... it speeds up with rpms, and i can often hear it ticking off fences and houses when i drive by...

the tick does not sound "metallic" i dont think, i took it to 2 mechanics that said they wouldnt worry about it.
and the second mechanic said it sounds like normal valvetrain noise, but he was reluctant.....

it doesnt tick when it first starts, it starts ticking probably 45 seconds after the engine is running, or when it gets close to operating temp

i changed the oil to mobil-1 5-20 synthetic... ran it for 3500 miles, put seafoam in the oil, and ran it though a vaccuum hose into the motor, and in the gastank too...

ran it with seafoam in the oil for a day, then changed my oil today to motorcraft 5-20...

ive been driving it hard, trying to clean her out with no success...
also tried all different brands/octane numbers, and also injector cleaner.

still ticks pretty good.

im looking for some reassurance that the tick is normal, or some advice as to what i should do about this (if it is indeed a valve tap)

its a 2003 duratec 2.3 with ~67k on it
i removed the two splash protectors inside the wheel wells also btw

DOES ANYBODY ELSES MOTOR DO This???!?! im going crazy!
:'(

my two buddies' uncle has the EXACT same truck as mine but an 01, and they insist it sounds the same..... but im not convinced, and im not about to drive 80 miles to go compare

edit: ive read up on every duratec thread you can possibly think of, so please dont tell me to search.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as long as its driving fine i wouldnt worry about it, but with only 67k on it damn. it shouldnt be ticking already. generally when i here a tick in my moms truck i tell her to check the oil, but sounds like u already have

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
as long as its driving fine i wouldnt worry about it, but with only 67k on it damn. it shouldnt be ticking already. generally when i here a tick in my moms truck i tell her to check the oil, but sounds like u already have
i guess these motors are really noisy, but i have nobody to compare mine to around here...

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check ur fan and everything? my friend had a really loud tick once and there was a twig that the fan kept hitting... idk im just throwin out ideas, could be a lifter tick, but ive never heard them as loud as ur hearing them. hmm... any ideas guys?

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
the dura 2.3's dont have lifters

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
my mom has a trucvk like that, we replaced the oil to 10w-30 valvoline a few days ago.. the sound is softer now, they will always tick, maybe cuz fo the dohc configuration(many 16valve imports do) but not as noisy u say, maybe trying the 10w-30??

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude i wud check that engine fan out real good.. my truck ticks louder before it reaches normal operating temp. its pretty quiet once fully warm. 54k on mine

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
i was pretty freaked out when i posted that, so i might have exaggerated the noise a hair hahaha ;)...

im almost convinced that its the normal tick

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol yea dude theyre freakin noisy.. wat i did to help not notice it, made the exhaust louder lol. these trucks have 2 cats, one before the sensor and one after. i took off the second cat and wow. things got some rumble now:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals