• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS leaf springs?

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys, im gonna be doing a SAS shortly using a waggy 44. Im gonna run front hanger/rear shackle set up. My question is what leafs to run? Im thinking of running Marlin Crawler 6" toyota leafs. My friends 4runner has them and it flexes awsome. The only problem is idk if the spring rate would be right for the weight of my truck. Its a reg cab, short bed, with a 3.0L. If they are gonna be to soft i will run Trail gear heavy duty 5" springs. They are for a yota with a small block or V6. Any thoughts on this would be great, thanks guys.

EDIT: I just found that the spring rate is 220in lb. Is this about right or should i go with the HD springs?

Last edited:

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Marlin Crawler springs you mentioned should be fine with your truck. If they end up being too light or two stiff you can always add or remove a leaf as needed.

Why are you choosing to run the shackle in front rather than in the rear? Just curious....

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
check out the chevy 1/2, 3/4 ton pickup with the 52" springs.

the 52" springs are the same dimensions as a rangers rear springs.

http://www.superlift.com/accessories/springs-leaf-coil.asp

im doing something like yours. im going with the 12" chevy leafs. with factory ford ranger leaf spring hangers and shackels up front.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've been looking into doing an SAS using toy leafs also. I have a set of 3" lift front toy springs of unknown origin, after talking to a couple guys who said they'd be too soft, I added a leaf from a toyota rear pack.
but then I talked to a guy at ranger-forums, who's using 6" All-Pro long travel Toy leafs and he says there not too soft at all, that's on a 2002 ranger w/ 4.0 engine.

I think the hd springs would be perfect, but then you have a 3.0 reg cab, which probably isn't much, if any heavier than a 4runner.

Mine's a '95 supercab, 4.0, doubler, and a butload of weight in bumpers, sliders, rollbar, toolbox, etc. so I think that the 220lb springs would be way too soft for me.

I'm gonna use the toy springs I have with the leaf added and see how it works, if it's too stiff, I'll take the added leaf back out.

I'm only going for about 6" lift total, so the 3" springs should work for me- I've heard you get about 3" lift just from the brackets (spring/shackle hangers)

anyway, post what you find out 'cause I'd like to know. If I get my SAS done first, I'll tell you what I think.http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
:cool:

THE WHITE RHINO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
id use ranch 4404's in the front and 63" chevys in the rear

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
You mean the 44044's that everyone else uses?

-ROKTOY-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could run Toyota rears up front with 63" Chevy's in the rear.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Those springs at 220in lbs will work great. They have the same spring rate as the long travel Allpro springs. My friend and I did a SAS on his 89 Toyota and used those springs. His truck was an extended cab V6 with A/C (heavy) and it flexed very well and actually rode and drove great for a truck as tall as it was with 36" tires.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why are you choosing to run the shackle in front rather than in the rear? Just curious....
Thanks guys. The reason for going with shackles in the rear is i want a nice ride still. Its still gonna be my DD cause i dont drive the stang in the rain. It needs to still be very streetable, capable of cruising 75-80mph down the highway. I know it will dive some while breaking, but thats no big deal. And i dont want the shackls hanging down in the front.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals