• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hid Help

RGMs03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need HID Help

so i decided to order one of these cheaper hid kits that only give you the opion of having your low beam unless you want to spend that extra $. i decided try the basic single beam kit as i dont use my high beams at all. i got the kit from 70dollarhids which offers a lifetime warranty.
the kit seemed pretty easy to install just hook up the corresponding wires plug it in to the existing harness for the regular headlights and thats it. it didnt even come with instructions its that easy, or did they just forget to package them. anyway its all hooked up and the lights wont turn on. i double checked everything and it all looks good. i called the guy and asked about the install he said it may neeed a bigger headlamp fuse,i tried that (didnt work) he said it may need a relay harness they are 35 bucks on his site i'm about to go look at some auto stors to see if i can find 1 that will work. has anyone used this type of kit or something similar? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Tader82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
will from the looks of the web sit u need to thicker gauge wire and a higher amp relay. not hard to get at you auto parts store but u need to know what, each wire is so u can hook it up right :icon_welder:

cajunman87

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
You wasted your money. you should have gone to vvme.com and bought the double beam for $70 and its just plug and play. you get hi beams and low beams.

RGMs03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wish i would have seen this kit b4. the kit i bought was supposed to be plug and play, i mean it all plugeed up to factory parts but didnt work :annoyed: now im waiting for the wiring harness to get here. lets see if this takes a month to get here like the hids did even though the shop is only a few hours away from where i live. i mighthave to just spend the money and get the new kit 4 the truck and put this one on my pit bike or something lol that would great i could ride a night.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
did you have the factory harness to ballast plug hooked up properly? alot of kits you must switch wires around a little bit...nothing hard at all. how can the instructions be 'hard'?? it's all plug and play. my $60 single beam ebay kit i installed on my truck 2 years ago works flawlessly to this day. almost 40k on them.

You SHOULD definately run a relay kit on it. it not only times the two sides together, but it'll also not pull full juice from the factory plug, it'll pull juice from the battery. the factory plug is used merely as a switch to trigger the relay. And, with the sides being single, you may have blown left/right fuses...i had this issue before, was fully cured after the relay kit install, plus, you've got a spare fuse in case you pop the one you are using(i'm using the driver side)

Why would they tell you to put in a bigger fuse? that's stupid!! or thicker wires?? that's also stupid. no kit have i heard of require you to do such.

Last edited:

RGMs03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well first i never said anything about instructions being hard. i said
"it didnt even come with instructions its that easy, or did they just forget to package them" and above that i pointed out all i had to do was plug the corresponding wires together.
because there were no instructions i dont know if there were wires that need to be swithched around. which wires would need to be switched around?
how could it not be hooked up right everything only plugs in 1 way.
when you say left and right fuses, im not sure what you mean when i looked in the truck manual the only headlight fuse is in the cab on the left side of the dash underneath the pannel with the rest of the fuses.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm sorry..I missread it. My bad.

Sure..it's plug and play, but there's 3 wires on the stock side and there's 2 being used. Plus, you can plug the wire coming from the stock harness to the ballast both ways on the ballast. All those are variables which could prove to be a headache for some people. I was one of them. Test lights cure everything! lol.

The fuses I'm talking about, are located under the hood. I can probably give you the locations tomorrow.

These are the variables:

Is yours just like this? In relation to the location of the wires? Which ones are being used...

This one shows the positive wire in the plug-in to the factory harness and the ballast. If yours are going in the same line, it should be working. If not, switch whatevers not right. I used an Xacto knife to release the male ends from the hid kit plug. (Note: you should have the engine running when you first fire them. Ballasts dont really like to be used w/o the engine running.)

My whole thing is, sure it's plug and play. BUT..there's variables. Some get a get already properly wired up to the stock plug, others dont. My kit was wrongly plugged in to the stock harness out of the mailing box. I'd say about half the kits I've installed(8) needed attention in this area. All because of that stock plug. You may have a combination of both issues...wrong positive from the harness, and that wire being plugged into the ballst incorrectly.

Go check it out, and let us know. Good luck!

Last edited:

RGMs03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ist all good, things get misread. or maby my wording just wasnt the best.

i really appreciate the help especially with pics to go along with it. i swithced the red and black wires around and it works as long as i have my have high beams switched on.
guess i wasted 35 bucks on the wiring harness. i'm not even going to try and return it though, its been 2 weeks since i ordered it, the hids took a month and a half to get here. bet if i tried to return it i wouldnt get my money back or it would take a long ass time. the sad part is they are only 3 hours away.

:annoyed: I also ordered the kit with 10000k bulbs and tonight when i turned em on they look more like the 6000k or 8000k.
for any one looking for hids do not go through 70dollarhids.com located in huntington beach.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No problem man.

Now..to fix your 'only on when clicked on highbeam' problem, you need to move the power wire.

Take a look at the second pic...

There's 3 pins and wires...center one is ground, surrounding the ground is a Low beam wire and a High beam wire. Currently, you're hid harness that plugs into the stock harness is flipped the wrong way. move the outsidemost wire to the other outside spot(the currently empty spot). Use a small flat screwdriver or an xacto knife to 'unlock' the pin from the blue hid kit plug(at least mine are blue in the pics)

That should cure you issue.

RGMs03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it worked but i think ill switch them back cause my lights turn on everytime i use the alarm.
where are those other headlight fuses you were talking about?

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Underhood Fuse Panel.

Dont ditch them......just re-wire the part of the alarm that turns on the headlights, and move it to your turn signal 'high beam'.

RGMs03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright thanks.
oh no i wasnt going to ditch them. i just switched back the wiring to where i have to switch on the high beams.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals