• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squeaking Rotational Noise

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well seeings how its snow, and i'm going to have to have the 96 in 4WD all winter, it's already starting to give me probs, the front passenger side is squealing and squeaking and i'm not sure what it is, i've just took the diff out put it all back together and i'm thinkin it's a u-joint, anyone else figure the same? sounds like metal on metal, and it sounds like a tinging (sort of like a rear drive shaft noise). i dunno if the axle shaft could be rubbing against the beam either?

*note*

i just went out lifted the front end of my truck up and spun both wheels with the hubs locked, looks like the passenger side u joint on the shaft is having a little bit of movement, this is probably the issue.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
While the TTB front axle is rugged it isn't indestructable and is also intolerant of neglect.

Everyone with a TTB front axle should make it a point to completely
dismantle both sides (pull the spindles off) clean and regrease
everything atleast annually.

and actually according to ford if you run in mud or water. that comes up to the bottoms of the hubs you shoud dismantle everything for cleaning and re-greasing.

The fact that almost nobody does this and MOST get away with it
is another discussion.

If you have a squeeking/squeeling it's obvious that you need to disassemble further for cleaning/regreasing/replacing whatever might be the cause.

BTW, I use MARINE grade (Green stuff sold as "Pennsoil full synthetic marine grease") grease on all the rotating parts in the front end of my truck.

I started using it after leaving a golfball sized lump of this grease on a 10" square of cardboard set on top of an unused pickup topper for all of last fall, winter and spring.

The grease got "mushed" a bit by being covered with deep snow,
but other than a very slight discoloration, being left out in the sun,
wind, rain & snow for nearly eight months the grease was basically unaffected.

Parts that are properly packed with grease will not get filled with water
and thus won't require replacement.

But USING 4x4 tends to expel the grease so it needs to be replaced periodically.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals