• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New '09 Drop Questions

Servekaos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I'm a new Ranger owner who's looking to give my truck a sportier feel. I'm coming out of driving a 2000 Cougar, so it's sort of a rough transition for me. The truck is a brand new '09 Ranger Sport 2wd with a regular cab.

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, so I know my best bet is probably a DJM kit. I know I'll get the best handling out of a 4/5, but I have a few questions:

1. Will my stock rims rub? (stock 2wd Sport 15"s and tires) I plan on getting new rims and tires anyway, but ideally I'd like to lower the truck first.

2. Will the truck bottom out, or come too close to the ground with the 4/5?

3. Anything else I should know or do?

If there are a lot of extra hurdles to jump with the 4/5, I'll probably play it safe with the 2/3 and add in a rear Bronco II sway bar. I'm sort of figuring it out as I go, though, 'cause I'm a complete newb to suspension. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well If you have a sport I'm pretty sure they have a torsion bar front end like the 4x4 and edge. Therefor non of the DJM front components will work. But double check and make sure it has torsion bars. If it has coils springs it will work.

Servekaos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/ranger/features/specs/

According to Ford's website, front suspension is listed as:

"Coil Spring (XL & XLT) Front stabilizer bar (standard all models)"

I'm assuming that means it's a torsion bar setup. What sort of lowering options do I have if that's the case?

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well to double check all you have to do really is look under the front of the truck and see if it has a coil spring. As far as lowering a torsion bar truck you can either crank the front torsion bars down or get new torsion keys to reindex it. You will also need an align ment as well and I think you are looking at 2-3" front drop max without custom upper control arms.

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
if itis coil sprung the DJM kit works great, I have it on mine. the stock tires will rub the inner fenders on bumps, be sure to cutthe large bolt in the drivers side fenderwell out or it can tear up a tire. for the rear its not needed but I reccomend a mini notch if you can get away with cutting the frame a little bit. it helps the ride and keep you from bottoming.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals