• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Noise

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a 2002 supercab 4x4 with 4.0 auto. It's got some road noise from the front of the truck. Just put on new 265/75/16 AT's. Not sure if it is the tires, or if it is possibly something worse. I jacked up the front and noticed that the when i spin the wheel, the driveshaft spins too (which I think is ok right?). Could the bearings or the hub be bad? the noise is just a hum that raises in pitch as the truck accellerates, until it gets up to speed and then its just constant. I just bought the truck, so I cant really say if it had the noise before the new tires (there were alot of noises).

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The front axle is allways engaged on 01 + rangers, so that is normal. The wheel bearing are a non sevicable unit and cost somewhere close to $300.00, it could be a brake problem also. Good luck!

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the response. What type of brake problems should I be looking for? Thanks

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes the little metal wear indicator on the pads will come in contact with the rotor and make "phantom" noises that make it hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. The back shoes can do the same and the noise travel down the driveshaft and sound like its the front end. I was saying just start with the easier and or cheaper areas first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals