• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone ever replace freeze plugs?

akcskye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dad has found that all the freeze plugs in the Ranger have done their job...and they all need replaced.

But, there are SO many things right in the way...is he going to have to pull the engine to get to them all?

Thanks!

BTW: 2.3L with coil packs is the engine, 1991.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
It would be probably easier in the long run to pull the engine and put it on a stand. Keep in mind it's a two fold process-- Getting the old plugs out, without having one fall into the block...And installing the new ones at the correct depth, without driving them in to deep--so they fall into the block. You can kinda see where I'm going with this.

You state your dad found the freeze plugs "did their job"? Did the engine blocks coolant actually "Freeze"????

S-

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It would be probably easier in the long run to pull the engine and put it on a stand. Keep in mind it's a two fold process-- Getting the old plugs out, without having one fall into the block...And installing the new ones at the correct depth, without driving them in to deep--so they fall into the block. You can kinda see where I'm going with this.

You state your dad found the freeze plugs "did their job"? Did the engine blocks coolant actually "Freeze"????

S-
"Freeze plugs" have nothing to do with freezing. They are actually core plugs used for dumping sand out of the block during the casting process.

They outlive their usefulness by rusting out.

There are core plugs on the rear of the head and block that you cannot get to without engine removal.:)shady

Last edited:

akcskye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they "blew" when the truck's coolant froze.

Hubby put in a pre-mix coolant and I don't know if it was very dilute or what...but the engine froze and stayed froze for a week.

S-

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would take a chance and put in the ones I could get to without pulling the motor.If you froze the motor,it probably cracked the block between 2 and 3 cylinder so just put the plugs you can reach and dump some water in it and see if it runs out anywheres.As stated you will have to pull the motor if you have a leak in the back of the block but again if it froze,it could crack the block between 2 and 3,split the rad or crack the head between the valves,very weak water jacket spots there.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
"Freeze plugs" have nothing to do with freezing. They are actually core plugs used for dumping sand out of the block during the casting process.

They outlive their usefulness by rusting out.

There are core plugs on the rear of the head and block that you cannot get to without engine removal.:)shady

I'm well aware of the purpose of the "Freeze Plugs". Personally they should be called "core plugs" LOL.

Also note my "alarm" when he mentioned the freeze plugs did their job--meaning a possible engine freeze up---which could mean the block may have cracked.

Might be worthwhile to get an inspection mirror into the hard to reach areas and give the rear ones a good look. If it's just the ones that are simple to get to? Replace 'em and see if it leaks. With luck it'll be sealed. If not? You'll know where the leak is.

S-

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You can't just "look" at the rear one,as it is behind the bellhousing but if he plugs the others he will see if water runs out the drain hole in the bottom of the bell

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals