• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cleaning the gas tank

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
After I drained the old gas out (it was sitting for five years with a full tank) I've been running it on gasohol and I just changed the fuel filter it was like mud :icon_rofl: and know it won't run for long so now I need to clean the tank out any ideas on how?:dunno: and would the crappy fuel ruin the fuel pumps?

Thanks for the help! you guys rock!
:icon_hornsup::icon_hornsup::icon_hornsup:

fastbluetruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1991
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
my bsuggestion is pull the tank and take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned. not only will this get the crap out but if it is needed it is at this time bto have the tank lined by them you will bwe looking at about a 150.00 to get this done with lining it is money spent will. good luck

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ASK at a radiator shop before you take the tank out let alone to them,
because a NEW tank is only ~$120

AD

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Got it cleaned out, cleaned the sock off, put it back together and it still didn't run so I took the fuel line off of the external pump as soon as I got it off I heard the it suck in air after that I hooked up a line that was connected to a gas can as soon as I clicked it the fuel was up the hose no problem so I think my in-tank pump is bad or hopefully I need to get a new sock for it and also if my tank is lower then half it won't pick up fuel and this is just a little lower then half not a quarter of a tank any ideas on how to fix that? just wondering

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals