• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R1 won't go in, WTF?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
M5R1 won't go in, WTF? :pissedoff: Been solo wrestling this pos for an hour and I can't get the bellhousing past the cross member that the radius arms bolt to. The top of the bellhousing keeps hitting the tranny tunnel and the shifter stub is hitting it at the rear! Tried tilting it one and the other front high, rear high, rotated....? :temper:

Any tips?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you pulled the exhaust i assume?

i usually unbolt those 4 bolts in the middle of the radius arm crossmember to allow the two halves to "sag". gives you a few more inches to work with.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
you pulled the exhaust i assume?

i usually unbolt those 4 bolts in the middle of the radius arm crossmember to allow the two halves to "sag". gives you a few more inches to work with.
Heck no! :D Do I have to? The old a4ld came right in and out a couple different times with exhaust and crossmember installed. I can't even get it up over the crossmember...let alone think about the exhaust yet.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya, pull those 4 bolts off and let the crossmember halves sag. you'll have to pull the exhaust (those cat converter bolts wont be fun).

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
OK I'll pull the four crossmember bolts and let it sag in the middle. Should I lift the tranny up level, front first or? Standing upright or tilted on it's side kinda? Are you sure I have to pull the exhaust? I've done the a4ld several times without pulling any of this stuff apart.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can certainly try it with the exhaust in place...but many people have tried (myself included) and failed. it really needs to come out. keep the tranny upright...with the back slightly lower (untill the shofter stub clears the floor plate).

if you compair your A4LD bellhousing to the M5OD's, you'll see why it doesnt fit...the A4LD is alot "flatter" along the bottom.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I gotta pull the head pipe off at both exhaust manifolds? That's kinda what i was thinkin about the tranny shape...but my a4ld was sold for scrap several weeks ago along with a bunch of other crap that I was tired of tripping over...LOL!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yes, you have 2 (15mm i believe) bolts on each side. the good news is that these bolts are large enough and protected enough that they usually dont snap due to being rusted. you will have to work to get them out though.

if you can weasle the exhaust out of the way with it still bolted to the converter then that'd be handy. if not...the two bolts that hold the y-pipe to the converter arent fun to remove at all.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Crap. Why is the bottom of the bellhousing so weird shaped? I have three bolts that hold my converter to the y-pipe.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Crap. Why is the bottom of the bellhousing so weird shaped?
and non-removeable for that matter.

forgot there were 3 bolts at the converter flange. my trucks been cat. deleted (shhhh!)...so i havnt seen that flange in a while :rolleyes:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
and non-removeable for that matter...
Yeah that too. :shout: I got a couple cats...one hammered out caause it was plugged...ran better that way but a lil louder than I like. I like em nice and stealth quiet these days. Used to like em open-header loud. :D

This makes this tranny officially the biggest pita tranny to R&R that I've ever done...and I've done several swaps.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yep, ranger tranny's (or any small truck really), are no fun.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my 98 Ranger (different x-member obviously), the M5OD can be slid past the cat. converter/exhaust. It just takes a LOT of coercing and bending down the heat shield. I eventually got it past the exhaust and just had to cut the shield, hammer it back to shape, and welded it shut. So far it's been great.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Even my Toyota 4x4 with 5 speed and dual tcases ALL bolted together is way easier to R&R than this.

4x4rangerguy, which heat shield did you end up cutting and welding on yours?

I just finished a late dinner and will go back out there, unbolt the center crossmember bolts (and the sway bar mounts....lol) and wrestle this thing a lil bit more. Have to at least try to get er in without removing the exhaust....lol.

Wicked_sludge, Thanks for your fast replies! I'm hip deep in the grease and dirt out there in the driveway. Thank God it's not raining yet.

Last edited:

michowski

Reaction score
ive found it easier to pull the motor with the trans myself. I fought the first time doing this for hours and ended up just taking the motor out, do what needs to be done, put it all back together as one peice and drop it all back in. I can have the motor/trans in and out in a days time. Nothing hard about it, just a little time consuming

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals