• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have a question about a 1990 chevy 1500 (I know its not a ranger)

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
I have a friend that has a 1990 Chevy 1500 with a 350 in it and it has a couple problems with it. I know its a Chevy but try to bear with me. The speedometer isn't working at the moment but when they took the instrument cluster off and made sure all the connections were good it started working, then stopped when they started the truck again. Anyone have experience with these that could help me out?

Also, the engine idles ruff. They have replaced all the spark plugs, distributor cap, plug wires, and the O2 sensor. Is there anything else that I could check?

By the way. Just so all of you know, the only reason that I am posting this on here is cause we have tried the Chevy forum and they don't really know what they are talking about. I just figured you guys might know something about it. And I have NOT switched sides (Ford vs. Chevy and all that). This is just a friends truck that I am helping fix. Just thought I'd throw that last paragraph in there.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the rough idle, check the compression, try injector cleaner, replace the fuel filter, and check for vacuum leaks. Could also have a faulty EGR if so equipped. If it has an IAC clean that as well.

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
Ok, we haven't checked the compression yet so I'll do that. And they did replace the fuel filter, so don't think its that.

One more thing. It smokes white smoke. Don't think its the heads or the head gasket though. It may be the rings or the valve seals. I need to check the compression on it to make sure.

Thanks for the suggestions,
JDG

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had an 88 and it acted kinda like that. It could be head gaskets. Mine got oil into the coolant and the head bolts were not tight at all. It was full of carbon and it was cheaper to get a new crate motor than to rebuild it. I think it had been badly overheated. I hope for your friend that it doesn't turn out that bad.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
if it sat for a while the white smoke might be condensation iin the exhaust. try running seafoam thru it

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The TBI gasket is bad about cracking and disapearing, will cause a vacuum leak and make it idle high, run rough, and rich..... last but not least make sure you set the timing with the brown/ black wire disconnected... 0 deg timing

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
Ok, they got it to idle fine now. But it still smokes. We're thinkin' the head gasket is blown, but we're not sure. She drives it now and its doin' fine, besides the big puffs of smoke every time she accelerates. Its pretty funny!

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok you can go to carquest and get a block check kit and check for co2 in the cooling system, doesnt cost a whole lot and just follow the directions on it..

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
GM's are known for bad intake manifold gaskets... I just did one on a 4.3L over the weekend. It will dump coolant into the crankcase if bad.

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it burns oil and water. So..that should say something. Their thinking about just replacing the engine with a new one and then rebuilding the old one.

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
I have always been told, blue smoke = oil burning, black smoke = unburned fuel, white smoke = coolant or water burning! Anyone ever heard this on a gasoline engine.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals