• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Turbo Swap into Courier

iregret

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I have been doing tons of reading about turbo swaps. I have a 85 thunderbird with some kind of rare engine options. It has a dealer installed front mount intercooler, and the bigger injectors... Already swapped in the later model computer, with the switch, so i can switch between regular fuel and premium. It boosts to 20 or so now. The engine has about 200k on the clock, and burns oil at start up. So it sounds like a rebuild may be in the near future. I have the turbo edition of the t5 trans, and the 7.5 limited slip, with who knows what gears... but i think they are pretty tall... like 3.30 or something..

Anyway,

I like the thunder bird, but really need a pickup truck. My first thought was to get ahold of some 80s ranger, and swap the turbo engine, wiring and all... Then I decided I liked the look of the later model rangers better. After some reading, it looks like the easiest swap would be into a 93 or 94 ranger. That may still happen..

So Im the type of guy that likes to do things a bit different. I got to thinking about the older ford trucks. I really like the look of the early Couriers. So I did some more research.

Apparently there a two different body styles of the Couriers. 72-76, and 77-81. I like the look of the earlier body better. But, the later model came with disk brake options, and the 2.3 liter, pinto engine as options.

SO FINALLY MY POINT...

Has anyone ever swapped the turbo 2.3l into a Courier?
If so, could someone please point me in the direction of some pics, or maybe a small write up or something?

Is it possible to swap a 2.3 into the earlier models?
If so, does that mean that a 2.3 turbo engine will bolt in?

I dont mind coming up with some motor mounts, or trans mounts if i have to.
It would just be easier to not have to fab up everything. I recently moved, and dont have a shop any more.

What rearend did the Couriers come with? What was the width?

I figured I could swap in a 8.8 LSD out of a late 80s ranger. That should be able to handle the 250ish hp.

I just thought i would be a neat project. Some one stop me before its too late. If, its a bad idea.

I really appreciate the help guys!

iregret

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

Tell me this truck doesnt look cool...

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Can't help you much on the Courier end of things but, anything that a carbed 2.3 came in can have a 2.3 turbo swapped in. I've seen plenty of 2.3's stuffed in no end of vehicles so you shouldn't have too much trouble putting one in an earlier truck. I can't imagine the original rear end in them being worth a crap. You might have a problem with putting a newer Ranger rear (8.8) under it, the Couriers were fairly narrow. Though the earlier Ranger 7.5's would probably work and that is what you have in your T-bird.

Dealer installed FMICs were rare but only because most people did it themselves. It was a rather expensive FMS kit.

Most T-birds with manual trannies had 3.50 rear gears.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Your in luck. It's been done several times. Go to www.TurboFord.net and start with a search through thier archives then ask for info.
Mazda liked to stay with things that worked back then. The later Courier dic setup is a bolt in for your older truck. The frames are the same. Find a later one with the 2.3 in it and cut the motor mounts out of it. The oil pan is specific to the truck also. An electic fan is a tight squeese.

iregret

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! My origional idea was to swap the 2.3 into my starlet. But have decided that I need a truck. I'll check out turboford!

iregret

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, it looks like the later courier's are easier to swap the turbo engines into. Well, couriers are cheap! I like the look of the earlier ones tons better. What about buying two? Swap the cab and bed on to the later style frame? That way it would be easier to swap the turbo motor in. Hell, I could swap the turbo motor and drive train in without the body even on the truck! lol

Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Thanks

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i had a 77 courier woods runner that was a great little truck.with some studded snow tires i wheeled it a lot of places(momentum).the only bad thing is the rear axle with 4 wheel cylinders and a lack of new parts for the trucks.it might be hard to rebuild the front suspension on it.i thought the turbo coupes came with either a 3.55 or 3.73 LS diff but i'm not sure.the mazda rear end should hold up though,i had a college automotive teacher who put a 5.0l in in his rx-7 and used the centersection from a courier diesel(highest gears available)so it woulden't spin too high on the freeway.the solid axle has got to be stronger than the IRS,especially with only a 4 cylinder.

iregret

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i had a 77 courier woods runner that was a great little truck.with some studded snow tires i wheeled it a lot of places(momentum).the only bad thing is the rear axle with 4 wheel cylinders and a lack of new parts for the trucks.it might be hard to rebuild the front suspension on it.i thought the turbo coupes came with either a 3.55 or 3.73 LS diff but i'm not sure.the mazda rear end should hold up though,i had a college automotive teacher who put a 5.0l in in his rx-7 and used the centersection from a courier diesel(highest gears available)so it woulden't spin too high on the freeway.the solid axle has got to be stronger than the IRS,especially with only a 4 cylinder.
Great info! But, i think that i would still swap in the thunderbird's rear just because of the lsd. Plus, I dont plan on building up the 2.3, just running it stock. I know the thunderbird weights in around 3500lbs. Does anyone know how much a Courier weighs? Or, for that matter, where the heck I can find one? lol

iregret

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Nevermind, I found some info...

Curb weight
2,515 lbs

Engine size
1.8 liter 4 cylinder OHC

HP
74 @ 5000rpm

Torque
(ft lbs)
92 @ 3500rpm

Transmission
4 speed manual

Payload
1,400 lbs

Length
172”

Wheelbase
104”

Width
63”

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
My origional idea was to swap the 2.3 into my starlet.
Now that would be original and damn would it go like stink.

Well, couriers are cheap!
You must live out in the west coast. Couriers are none existent here. I haven't seen one in probably 15 years. They all rotted into oblivion long ago.

Payload
1,400 lbs
Hmm, they had a sense of humour. A friend had one back in high school, add two large guys to the back and that thing was struggling.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I spent a summer hauling scrap metal with a '75 Courier. One trip I had 1835lb of steel on that little truck. That 1.8 engine grunted, but it did haul it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i coulden't kill mine when i had it.overheated it dozens of times then put cold water straight in the overheated block.loaded the old girl higher than the roof with scrap and DROVE it to the wrecker when the time finally came.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals