• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 factory tach conversion

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an 85 ranger without a factory tach. my gauge cluster has actual gauges for temp, oil press, amps, and fuel. my truck only has one of the large gray harnesses that plugs into it and four lights above the column. i have found a gauge cluster out of an 86 or 87 B2 with factory tach. it only has lights for the amps and oil, not gauges. the housing is different with about 8 to 10 lights above the column and two large gray harnesses that plug into it. it looks like the only thing that is the same between them is the odometer. my truck seems to be missing 2 or 3 wires from gauge harness that i assume could have been for tach. i havent looked really hard for one yet, but was factory tach an option for 83, 84, and 85? if so, is converting a difficult task? i assume i would have to find one, put my odometer in it, and then run wires to the coil right? or should i just duct tape a summit tach to the column and be done with it?
thanks for any info you can give me.

Old Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, only it's got a hole in the bottom and sinking fast. I bought an 85 ranger last night and the interior is basically trashed. Everything must go. I am very interested in having a tach also and would like to know what you find out. I am thinking of replacing/swapping the entire dash on mine due to its condition. I am def. replacing the wore out bench seat with either buckets or a 60/40 that has a console. Haven't made a decision on whether to replace just the door panels, or go the expensive route and get pwr doors with swing windows.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
i don't have factory tach either,i bought sunpro mini tach,used black duct strap,and put on steering column.installed in less than an hour and i'd be lost without it now.don't know if it was factory option but it should have been!the supro is about $35 at advance auto parts.

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^ thats what i did also, except i used a screw and drilled a hole in the plastic on the steering column.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
83-85 did not have a tach as an option. The wiring isn't there. You can adapt a later cluster but you will have to wire it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals