• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown seal on gear box

The Dooger

Reaction score
I blew the seal out on my power steering gear box and bought a rebuild kit, how hard is this job? removing and replacing the seals? also what size is the nut on the pitman arm? metric or standard?

Thanks,
Kyle.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll get back on tomorrow and let you know what size the nut is. But once you get the nut off the seal is no big dael to replace. All you have to do is get the pitman arm off. Put a screw in the sael and pry it out. Put the new seal in straight and you're done.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, Brett, isn't there a snap ring in there?

The Dooger

Reaction score
Well got it all apart and on the left is what i pulled from the steering gear box in order from top to bottom and on the right is what came in the rebuild kit.

Here are the notes on the instructions

here are both pictures from the instructions

So since there were no spacers in the box should i just install then same parts that were in it? because i know once those seals are in they aren't coming out since the out ones came out pretty hard. It seems like the recess that the snap ring fits in is about 1/4" back in the housing. Plus the snap ring wasnt even in the recess when i took it apart so i dunno how far back in there the seals go cause they were out pretty far after pulling the pitman arm.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Umm, Brett, isn't there a snap ring in there?
You're right.....as always Mike. It has been so long since I have done one, you forget what you need. Just wing it

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea you dont put the spacers in, just replace what came out and you are all set. Oh and trick for getting the seals out once you pull the snap ring out, start the truck with a large pan under the box and slightly turn the wheel back and forth and the pressure will pop the seals right out the bottom along with almost all of the fluid in a great big spray (hence the need for the large pan under it)

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
yea you dont put the spacers in, just replace what came out and you are all set. Oh and trick for getting the seals out once you pull the snap ring out, start the truck with a large pan under the box and slightly turn the wheel back and forth and the pressure will pop the seals right out the bottom along with almost all of the fluid in a great big spray (hence the need for the large pan under it)
damn that sucks, I already pulled my steering box out..

88rangr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L FI
Transmission
Automatic
I had my seal leaking, so I tried to replace the seal, but the shaft was loose, so I bought a rebuilt unit, so no leaks and no slop in the steering wheel. Merles Auto in Tucson had mine in stock!

lantz84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its probably easier with it out..i just rebuilt mine and took it out and did it. the kit i got came with all the seals to rebuild every thing but i just replaced the all the seals around the secter shaft....thats what your pitman are is bolted to..not bad just pay attention to how it comes apart!!

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the posts. I'm going to have to replace my seals too - my '94 XLT 2WD (all stock front end) is leaking fluid where the pitman arm connects to the steering box. From what I'm reading in your posts, you can replace the seals without taking the box off the truck (in fact, it sounds easier - you can use TireIron's trick to get the seals to come out.) I have two questions:

1) What's the best way to get the pitman arm off - is there one puller that's easier to use?

2) Auto Zone sells two seal kits for my truck: "Pitman Shaft Seal Kit" (Part #8778) and "Lower pitman shaft shaft seal kit" (Part #8779). On their web site, the Pitman Shaft Seal Kit is a little cheaper and looks about the same as the Lower pitman shaft seal kit, but it has one more larger seal. Which one should I use?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals