• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger tranny problems

Decster1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi and thanx I just found this forum and it looks great.
My father-in-Law gave me this 92 2WD 4 cycl. Ranger that he has had for some time now and he thought he blew the clutch,but after I looked at it I don't think so because clutch grabs and releases fine.The problem is I think in tranny because no matter where I shift to (sitting still) it stays in a gear even in Nutl. and can't get it in reverse.Ithink it's in 2nd while in Nutl. Have any of you guys had this problem or can tell what may be going on? It's a nice little truck but don't know if a tranny replace is worth it.

Thanx in advance,
Decster

Last edited:

Decster1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is stuck in gear and while in nutrl.Ican drive down the lane (I think in 3rd) and when I take it out of nutrl. it locks up back wheels! Is she done or is this simple?

Decster

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It is a synchro thing, Mine did the same thing, You can take it apart and rebuild it or you can go find a cheap replacement tranny, I was lucky and found mine for 150 bux. Most of the time this occurs due to lack of tranny fluid for a long time. As mine was when I bought it...empty.

Decster1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lucked out and fixed it "for now" !

I put a qrt. of oil in her and drove around in nutrl. though our development and park it for an hour and then got in her and put it in 2nd and rocked her back and forth and she broke loose and all seems fine now. :icon_confused: I found a link about three plastic plugs right where the shifter goes in tranny being famous for leaking after some age and says to pull them out and re-sylicone them.I'm sure thats where the oil went so I'm gonna do that and maybe she'll keep running for me. The tranny sounds good and shifts good she just wanted some oil. :icon_cheers:

Thanks,
Decster

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
you read that the tranny takes mercon ATF not gear oil, right? that's another common issue is people put gear oil in them and it eats up the plugs in the shift rail...

Decster1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea Scott I read that also and that's what I put in but tranny smells of gear oil so I guess some put that in sometime.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, mine had gear oil in it when I got it so I changed the fluid, it's been like 4 years since then, I should check/change it again...

Mirage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mine did the exact same thing last year, locked up in second gear. Finally got it broke free but had all kinds of shifting problems with it.

Went ahead an rebuilt it, and was glad I did. I found that the second gear syncro was shot, and that in turn had heated up the gear and it was out of round. It Looked ok, (no blueing or sign of heat problem) until I tried to put the gear back on with the new bearing cage and found that it would jam up going back on the shaft, so I ended up ordering a new second gear as well. Since then I've been driving it daily with no problems. Final cost.. about $200. (Repalced all syncros, keys, second gear, seals, & bearings).

I would highly recommend Southwest Gear, they have great prices, very knowledgeable staff, and very pleasant to do business with. They were able to answer all my questions, offered tips (as this was my very first 5 speed rebuild) and answered all my questions as I needed help. Check them out...

http://www.southwestgear.com/products.htm

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals