• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Explorer Chassis Build

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have been working on this project for some time now for a customer things have been changed around and whatnot but I'm finally able to get going on the build. Here are the beginning of the build pics.

Motor specs: 351W stroked out to a 432 with around 500+WHP.

Here are some pics of starting to put the Heidts rearend together, threadlocking the studs into the housing.

Here are some more pics.

I got a bit more if the IRS together the other day. I need to get a couple specialty sockets and whatnot so I can torque some of the bolts on the brakes and bubs before I can go any farther.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks awesome. Keep the pictures coming!

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree - I looked at it last night but was too tired to post an legible reply.

I would definitely like to see this put into a tech article as a guide to those wanting and capable of doing complete frame modifications such as this.

Very nice work so far - I will be following this one. would it be possible to get a parts list of the components you are installing?

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the comments. The suspension is a Heidts front Mustang ii cip and a Heidts IRS in the back but, thats where it stops. I am supplying a custom tailored air ride suspension for the truck along with custom made bag brackets and the new frame rails. The air suspension system includes: Slam Specialties air bags, Viair 480 dual compressors, SMC 3/8" valves, 1/2" dot air line, Dakota Digital air gauges, AVS 9 rocker switchbox, 10 gallon tank, and all the fittings needed.

I thought I was a member on here but I started posteing last night and It wasnt showing me as one so I had to register but I have been reading these forums for a while now. I see alot of familiar s/n's on here from other sites I'm on as well. Thanks

1ATony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's a great looking project.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info - if you continue to provide awesome pics like this maybe a article can be made - so someone can use it as a guide to doing their own build. I know a few guys that want to bag their older Rangers. I really like the idea of going all out on it. Will be a quality build when finished. BTW who did the initial render - I like it.

TS6034

September 2009 STOM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Last edited:

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Heres a small update finally after being layed up for a couple weeks with stitches in my leg. Got the rearend all together along with the new smaller tires mounted on the rims. I also have the height set, fully layed out so the u joints don't bind up and where the bags will be installed fully collapsed.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really like the progress. Take lots of pictures so we can do an article for TRS's mag.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well after some design, layout, cutting box tube, beveling all the tube edges for welding, tacking rails together, keeping up with parts orders and some other things. I finally have the main rails together I thought I would have the whole frame tacked together today but I ran into a couple issues with the Heidts rearend. Mainly I need to shorten the crossmember some so the rails fit where I want them to go and the axles clear the frame rails without having to be notched, and then I can build the rest of the rails behind the rearend. But anyways on with the pics.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK so I spent a ton of time today working on the frame. The rear rails are built and tacked in place now.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK I have an update from today. All of the main frame rails are tacked together now and everything is squared up and set. I had to narrow the Heidts IRS crossmember due to the fact they had allready sent me the smallest one they make. The next step will be building a rear crossmember that goes in front of the 3rd member as well as making some brackets to connect the upper pinion adjustment crossmember to the frame rails.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I finally uploaded some new pics today. The pinion crossmember is in place, I capped off the inside of the back of the frame and welded it up for the rear frame rail air tank. I also have most of the rear frame rails all welded up.

TS6034

September 2009 STOM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals