• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 2.3 Out Of Time

dirtsurfer57

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My 85 Ranger was running fine and then all of a sudden it just wouldn't start, went through took care of ground problem, changed coil but still wasn't getting spark. I got a new distributor and ign control mod got some spark but wouldn't start, swapped the dist 180 and that was worse. We're thinking it may have jumped time, just not sure how to get it back. I've got the cover off the timing belt, now when I line up the marks do I do that with the timing belt off or with it on? Never done this so any advice with be greatly appreciated, and if it could be anything else let me know.
Thanks

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Line up the marks with the timimg belt off then replace the timing belt. Be careful when you bring the belt tensioner back into position and tighten it. That is notorious for making the mark to misalign at least one tooth on one or more of the gears which can be enough to make it run sluggish. Good luck.
Danny

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Line the marks up before you pull the belt.this way you will see if it jumped time.If you have to put a new belt on(and if you have it apart that far you might just as well)and let the tensioner back against the belt,turn it over by hand several times and recheck the marks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals