• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bleeding Rack and Pinion

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the rack on my '02 supercab 4x4, and put fluid in. Cycled back and forth about 100 times to get the air out, but it still shakes when i come back left with the wheel. I assume that I need to bleed the system? Does this sound right? What is the best way to do this? Do I remove the hose at the pump or at the rack? Is the return hose (the one that they say to disconnect) the one that goes straight from the rack to the pump, or from the rack through the cooler, back to the pump? I appreciate any help you guys can provide

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Jack up the front end and with the motor running turn the steering from one side to the other two or three times. You should not need to disconnect anything. Always worked for me.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
When I changed my P/S fluid in my truck I did the jack the front end up and turn the wheels trick and that worked a little. I ended up going driving in circles in a field for about a half hr and that helped the most but it still would shake. Just driving around for the day cleared it up completely

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Two rules for bleeding a hydraulic system:
1) don't let the pump run dry
2) work it around under load while running, but don't let the pump run dry

Don't let the pump run dry.

Fill it, fire it up, steer stop-to-stop with the wheels on the ground, and hold it at the stops for three or four seconds each. Top off as needed. Repeat until steering is steady and smooth. Don't be afraid to overfill it while doing this--you can always siphon it out when done. You shouldn't have to go back-and-forth 100 times. Three to five is more realistic.

Also, if while running, you see the fluid looks badly aerated (lotsa teensy bubbles floating around in the fliud, making it look lighter) shut it down and let it sit for a few minutes while the bubbles float out. The PS system doesn't really have enough volume to solve that problem on its own, and the bubbles will damage the pump.

Just driving around until the shakes go away will work, but it takes some life out of the pump and it's not very safe.

P.S. Don't let the pump run dry.

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha...So dont let the pump run dry? I drove it around and it seems to be fine. Funny thing. Got the truck aligned today and got new tires, and the guy told me "as a courtesy", we checked your fluids, and you steering fluid is dirty. Funny that I flushed the system and its all new fluid in there. Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals