• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question (pic) about my rusting leaf spring

96RangerPizza

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

I was under my truck today (96 4.0L 4x4 Ranger) while taking a look at the back bumper I screwed up while playing in the woods. I noticed the bracket that the rear part of the leaf spring connects to is almost completely rusted through.

First, Whats this bracket called?

Second, is it repairable? I noted that its bolted to the frame with bolts that don't look like they're easily removable (they don't have any sort of hex head to them on either side).

Here's a pic (Passenger Rear).

Any help would be appreciated.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
holly crap, Im sure glad I live in san diego...lol

that is called your leaf spring shackle and shackle hanger

they are rivited to the frame. yes you can repair it. you have to grind out the rivits and replace them with 1/2 bolts.I suggest grade 8.

IMO I would NOT drive the truck till that get fixed!

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just see a big red "x" but it's pretty common on older trucks (Dodge's, Ford's, don't know about Chev's). The shackle hanger / shackle mount is U-shaped and just holds mud / scum / salt / water. Eventually it rusts away.

There is a Ford dealer on eBay selling a full shackle / hanger kit with all Ford parts. I believe it's around $105. I bought everything but the shackle mounts for around $70 shipped.

Just grind off the rivets and use Grade 8 bolts to replace and you'll be good to go!

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's the shackle thats all rusted through, and it mounts onto the spring hanger. You may as well replace the shackle and hanger on both sides, because the chances are they're all screwed. The shackle in the pic is also very bent and it looks like its about to let go. Please don't drive it until it's fixed.

The hanger is riveted to the frame. You have to grind or drill them out. It's not a big deal, just replace them with bolts. I did spring hangers on my truck last year, and they weren't very expensive even at the dealership.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I just got done doing this. If you are tight for money just replace the shackle. It is $23 with tax at the dealership. Then go to the local hardware store and grab two 9/16 4" long grade 8 bolts. You will need the bolts because you will tear them up trying to get them out. I spent 6 hours on mine. They are very stubborn. A torch would help alot and PB blaster does help quite abit. There is an upper bolt that goes through the hanger, and one that goes through the leaf. They seem to go out first on the driver side...mine totally collapsed on me while off roading. All together about a $30 repair. You can drive on it, just go slow. I drove on mine totally gone and had no problems or addtional damage.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
fixing mine now with homemade shackles i made that are 1/4 inch. these will not be bending or rusting in half

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
wow your shackle is pretty bad man. i'm having the same problem but also with the spring hanger that attaches to the frame. Parts are on their way as we speak. I ordered my spring hanger off of ebay, i got a pair of them with hardware for 60 + shipping. im gona use a beltech lift shackle for that. nd like the other guys said that thing is just about to go so idk how much driving your gona want to do with it.

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
Thats definitely classic replaced them on both my 94's have them break loose both times. My brother hates me lol he is the one that had to replace them.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Please don't drive it until it's fixed.
Agreed. better safe than sorry.

Ranger44, you were lucky. I have seen rangers with holes in the bed and dents from the leaf spring hanger letting go and not blocking/catching the leafspring.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed. better safe than sorry.

Ranger44, you were lucky. I have seen rangers with holes in the bed and dents from the leaf spring hanger letting go and not blocking/catching the leafspring.
I have seen plenty of RBV's driving around with shackles/brackets broken, I'm sure it's not good for tire wear, but it's not like your truck is going to fall apart the next time you drive it. If you see beds with holes/dent in them from the spring packs, then whoever owns that truck A. let the problem go for a long time, or B. continually loaded/overloaded the truck after the problem manifested itself.

As stated above, replace the shackles as a temporary fix, but plan on replacing the brackets as well. Do both sides at the same time, otherwise you will be replacing the other side within the next 6 months.

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals