• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pan swap

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my budy gave me a 2.3 and 4speed trany out of a 83 2wd ranger he just got.(he is going 302) i plan on swaping this 83 2wd 2.3 in to my 88 4wd ranger. i plan on using my top end on the 83 2.3 because i like to keep it efi....BUT...will i have to swap oil pans? are the 2wd diffrent from the 4wd? also will the fly wheels inter change? and is there any thing else hidden i dont know about for this swap ? like position sencers... or seals that dont interchange ?help is wanted and needed thanks:icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
do you have the aluminum pan? if so, you'll need to use the 4x4 one, there's a different bump that isn't there on 4x2 pans, it'd probably clear, but would be closer...

to get the pan to fit, you would have to fill the trough in the rear main cap that the older oil pan gaskets used, you can use either JB weld or silicone. you will also have to drill out the rear two oil pan bolt holes in the pan to about 3/8" (5/16 should do, but I'd go up a little for a fudge factor) and get a couple new bolts (take the stock 6mm bolts to the hardware store and get some the same length in 8mm, I even found some of the fancy stock style bolts but they were like $1.50 each), that should be about it

you might have to change the front seal housing between the two engines too, but that's relatively simple.

as far as sensors go, you should be fine since you are keeping your intake and such

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure the 2wd pan will fit. Trial fit the engine as is. The flywheel and clutches are the same.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok the 83 has a new clutch so i will use that. my 88 2.3 has a alluminum pan. i have not seen the 83 pan yet so i dont know if its alluminum.so all i need to do is take my 88 2.3 head(reworked) and intake and bolt it on the 83 2.3 and put it in the engine bay. i plan on changing all the gaskets on this 83 2.3 short block and painting it and swaping my sending units on to it. ill have to order gaskets for a 83 2.3just to be safe on the right sizes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals