• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shocks....what to buy??

chris1044

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
First off, whoa, wtf happened to the forums?? Haven't been on here since last may (busy busy busy)....come back to see almost everything is gone

Secondly, my post. I don't want to hear things like "get the skyjacker nitro's or procomp es 3000"....those shocks blow, and I don't want them nor am I interested in how "they ride so great"

I'm looking to buy shocks for my truck.....it's become a daily driver more than anything, but does see the occasional two track as well as the occasional high speed jaunt at the sand dunes.

Right now on my truck I'm running the skyjacker nitro's - two in the rear, four in the front. Simply put, they suck ass. They ride like crap on the highway, and do a poor dampening job in the dunes (and fade fast at that). I'm looking for some input on shock recommendations.....looking to spend no more than 120ish per shock.....I'd love to have some bilstein 7100's, but can't afford the 250/shock price tag......

I'm thinking about the bilstein 5150's, but have also wondered about the "skyjacker platinum" shock (marketing or are they really better than their lower grade shocks in anything other than looks?).....although I don't care for rancho or procomp, does anyone have experience with their premium shocks??

Thanks for the input.....and if you read this junkie, good job on saving some good info from the old forums

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I had single Skyjacker Nitros on mine, and they seemed to ride decent . blah blahh yeah I know lol ok :icon_twisted:

I just replaced them with Bilstein 5125s (along with some other stuff-- the Nitros were now too short), and although not quite as firm as I was expecting, they are very tight (they'd probably work even better as duals). I don't think you can go wrong with anything in the Bilstein line.

Those SJ "Platinum" ones I don't have any experience with.
I've had it with Rancho though, I will never touch any more of their stuff ever again regardless of how hyped up it is.

Yeah, new forum and host. Long story short, the forum database got taken. I think I like the vBulletin format better though (well, except for the fact the fast-reply box clears itself every time if you click back a page and then return :temper: ). The search works 1000x better too.

Last edited:

chris1044

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I was looking into those adjustable rancho's, but I've read more than a few reviews stating what you say - rancho sucks and spends far more on their marketing then product R&D.....

With that said, I'm pretty set on some Bilstein's as well......

anyhow, thanks for the reply

97_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For about $140 each you can get some fox shocks, maybe alittle less if you use the TRS discount at 4wheelparts. I will be using their coilovers on my project. Have never heard of a complaint with them...

Chris

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
KYB makes a very good shock.

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My friend just replaced his rear shocks with 5150 bilstien piggy backs, they ride pretty good, it made a hell of a change in ride for his truck, before he had fox 2.0 and blown out bilstiens, but i recomend with bilstien that you get bump stops, because they are notorious for blowing out after hitting something too hard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals