• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

seafoam in a quarter tank?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The directions on the can I believe says to treat 35-90 litres of gas. Today I put the whole can in barely a quarter tank of gas maybe 15 litres. Now I'm wodering if this might be a bad Idea and if I should add more gas to dilute.

ShortyzKustomz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Transmission
Manual
Im sure your the same one who posted this on RPS, And like they said, you need to add some gas. The directions are there for a reason

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ended up calling seafoam

I contacted the seafoam company and the guy I spoke to said you can do some kind of pressurised gas treatment with a 50/50 dose seafoam/gas I didn't really know what he was talking about though. If I do have problems though I'll reply to this thread to let others know if this is a problem
The reason I dumped the whole can into a quarter tank of gas was cause I did know that alot of mechanics suck in straight seafoam into a vacuum hose so I just assumed this would be okay, but I'm glad I called to make sure this wouldn't cause any problems
I'll also post this in the Ranger power sports

redgooch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have never used seafoam before but I would never use any kind of additive that if you put too much in it is harmful. I put lucas oil upper cylinder lube in my gas every time I fill up. The bottle says to put 3 oz. per 10 gal. but at the same time it reads that an over treatment won't hurt. If too much of a product could be harmful, I wouldn't use the stuff. Thats just me though. But any time i put an additive in the gas I wait till I need to fill up, put it (additive) in the empty tank and then fill up. that mixes everything up good, I've never had a problem.

outomyelement

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I read in a honda forum that it is only harmful if you have and older vehicle with possible oil leaks that have been sealed up by additives or old oil. It's supposed to clean all of that up and out, so it could potentially re-ignite oil leak problems.

I sucked it through my break booster, 1/3 can and the rest in my gas tank. No problems, I notice a more even throttle response, but beyond that, no mpg increase or horsepower that I can tell. Some recommend pouring some in the oil filler as well (but I didn't take the risk re: leaks above).

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what is the brake booster?

what is the brake booster? what does air intake vacuum have to do with brakes anyway?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
what is the brake booster? what does air intake vacuum have to do with brakes anyway?

Unless you have a Hydro-Boost brake system (which works via a set of extra hoses from the power steering pump) Or Manual brakes?

The truck/car in question probably has "Power Brakes" which is vacuum actuated. It's powered by the air intake vacuum created in the intake manifold.

S-

hippie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use sea-foam in every engine I have, never measured it always just dump in a whole can never had any problems, in fact it stopped my atv and snowmobile from using oil.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The OP is talking about putting seafoam in his gas tank. It will not cause oil leaks and has nothing to do with vacuum lines or brake boosters.

86bigred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put a full can in each tank on the vehicles i park for the winter.it acts like a fuel stabilizer as well.never have had any problems.any new vehicles i get i pour some down the vent on the carb, pour some into the tank,add a bit of gas, fire it up and add the rest down the carb throat.works like a dream.this stuff does not hurt your engine,it actually cleans it.i'm not brave enough to pour some in the oil.i hear it cleans to well and after you develop oil leaks,due to it cleaning all the gunk away from the seals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals