• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harmonic Balancer

stevepjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am working on my sons 1997 ranger with a 2.3 and the harmonic balancer has slipped on the crankshaft. My question is, do you have to pull the gear off of the crankshaft to replace the key that keeps the gear and harmonic balancer from turning? I have to replace the harmonic balancer and key and need to know how to get the gear off if it has to come off to replace the key.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes,it will have to come off to replace.How did you slip the balancer?I have never heard of one of them slipping unless it got loose in the first place.Just remove the center bolt and washer and it will come off.Put a socket on the crank bolt and put the handle against the frame and bump the starter if you have to get it broke loose.

stevepjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont know how it slipped but both of my sons have rangers and both have the same engine and both have done the same thing. The first time it happened I took it to the shop to have it fixed. I just thought I would save some money this time and do it myself. I already have the balancer off, I just need to know how to get the gear off of the crankshaft so I can get the old key out. Do you have to use some kind of puller?

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you saying the timming gear slipped?If you have the balancer off,the timmig gear should slide right off but if it did slip it might be caught on there.You might be able to get a small 2 jaw puller behind it or esle maybe a crowsfoot on each side to get it moving.I would like to see a picture of the gear when you get it off,I have never seen one that slipped,usaully the belt will always break before that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals