• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger 4 cyl 5spd revs high at startup

hebrewdiver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My 93 has started reving very high at startup. It start doing it intermit but now does it all the time. It seem to start after I did an oil change. When I disconnet from air filter/air flow it shuts down instantly. When I hook everything back up it rev high again. I have cleaned linkage but what else could I do and is there a how to anywhere

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the IAC (idle air control). The IAC usually causes a low to no idle when it messes up but the TPS could possibly cause a fast idle if it is not realizing the throttle plate is partially opened and causes the computer to send more fuel until it realizes that the plate is open.

Just an idea.

Mirage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure what you meant by

"When I disconnet from air filter/air flow it shuts down instantly. When I hook everything back up it rev high again. "

What exactly are you disconnecting? The tube that goes between the air box (with the MAF sensor) and the throttle body? If so, I'd start looking for a major air leak. It's possible that the engine is getting too much air, and the computer is compensating for it by increasing the fuel. Thus the high idle.
Maybe look around the intake area and see if thee are any hoses disconnected. As stated by dmassey, check the TPS as well. If it's off, you'll deffinately see problems like this.

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Try cleaning your IAC motor.

Christian29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem clean out your iac, and more than likely will need a new tps. If that dont work then look at your mass air flow sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals