• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 spuddering

Grapeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased a 96 2.3 with a 5 speed. I am having some weird problems as follows. When the truck is started in the AM and is cold it is running on the fuel enrichment or choke system, it Runs fine until it warms up. Then when the motor is reved up and it returns to the idle position, it starts to shutter and run on 3 cylinders (?) for a few moments and then returns to a smooth idle. The higher you rev it up, the worst the shutter/missing it makes. If you only rev in a little, the missing is less pronounced. We have run a code on it and it indicates a "misfire in cyliner #1" We have done the following: new timing belt, new plugs, new plug wires, R&R the following with know good components: computer, Idle air control valve, ERG valve, coil pak.
None of these have corrected the problem. The truck doesn't seem to get very good milage, maybe around 17 or 18. I thought it would get better that that. But for now, the above problem is the issue. When it gets into the spuddering mode, it is so bad the thansmission shift stick really shakes back and forth until the missing stops and it smooths out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

slolearner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a dirty MAF sensor that gave me fits like this. Other threads on this site describe how to clean it. Unplug the connector and see if it runs better/different. It will probably light up the Check Engine light. If it runs better, (normal) you probably need a replacement MAF. My truck ran bad anything above idle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals