• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Problem

korteman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975 and 1984
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 Ranger, 5 speed, 2.8 liter. Recently the engine has started dying unexpectingly. I thought it was a fuel problem, but both tanks are full and gas is in the carb. It seems like it is electrical, like maybe not getting spark. The engine turns over and everything. It will start up after sitting a little while and then I may not have the problem for another 3-4 days. It did it today and I got it started up after sitting for a few minutes. I got it home and left it running to see if I could duplicate the problem and it ran for 15 minutes in my driveway with no problems. I almost wonder if I am getting some type of carb icing going on. I just can't get it to duplicate the problem because it is so eratic. Any suggestions?? Thanks

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 Ranger, 5 speed, 2.8 liter. Recently the engine has started dying unexpectingly. I thought it was a fuel problem, but both tanks are full and gas is in the carb. It seems like it is electrical, like maybe not getting spark. The engine turns over and everything. It will start up after sitting a little while and then I may not have the problem for another 3-4 days. It did it today and I got it started up after sitting for a few minutes. I got it home and left it running to see if I could duplicate the problem and it ran for 15 minutes in my driveway with no problems. I almost wonder if I am getting some type of carb icing going on. I just can't get it to duplicate the problem because it is so eratic. Any suggestions?? Thanks
sounds like a ignition module going bad.they like to cut out when they get hot,then after cooling down,start working again,til hot again.fwiw.good luck.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
bad ignition module.

jeffnvegas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
see my reply to 84 starting problem. could be the same issue.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You live in washington right. Well you are probably getting carburator Icing. Ice will collect in the carb because it is moist and cold outside. and when the engine shuts off the ice begins to melt. Try putting some Heet in your fuel tanks first and see if that helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals