• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My bad experience with RCD

jaysend5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just wanted to share my experience with RCD. I purchased the kit from a local shop reccomended by RCD. I installed it myself. The directions were not helpfull at all. The kit was missing alot of minor parts I had to get at hardware stores and such. When I finally got it installed I drove it to the shop to have it welded and aligned. Well The coilovers were so stiff that they acted like steel bars. The ride was terrible. It will not hold an alignment. The ball joints are wearing extremely fast. The axle shafts are wearing very fast. There is no articulation whatsoever in the front and I have to say it wheeled better stock. The rear lift is a joke. The shop looked everything over and spent several hours with it on the lift scrathcing their heads. It was installed correctly and they could find nothing wrong. They suggested I contact RCD. Then it got worse. The customer service is horrendous. I have been calling and emailing for over 4 months and get the run around every time. They have done nothing but empty promises. They keep saying " I will look in to it and call you back" Then I noticed that one of the parts was bent and tried to order a replacement. after a week I called to see what the status was and they are telling me that they cant even take an order. So basically I have to go to a shop and have a part fabricated. I love my truck and it has been really frustrating not being able to drive it for nearly 5 months. With no resolve in sight I think I just sunk almost 6 grand into suspension upgrades that need to be taken off and ebayed.

I would definately recomend against RCD. I have nothing positive to say about the kit whatsoever. I wish my truck was back to stock. Which it may well be if I ever get time to tear it all apart.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got pics? Seems to me they either sent you the wrong springs on the front, or they have a flaw in their design geometry. They shouldn't be that stiff. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out spring rates for their own kit and make it work like it should. Is this the kit that's made to jump? Which part bent? Stiffer springs are going to impart higher loads into the suspension which would explain the alignment and ball joint wear issues. The axle shaft wear would probably be from running at an extreme angle (stiffer springs holding the truck higher), although you should be able to set the pre-load on the coilover.

Actually, thinking about it, have you set the pre-load on the coilover? Is it adjustable on those kits? If the adjuster is cranked all the way down, that might explain the problems you've been having.

-krug

Last edited:

jaysend5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont think the kit is made to jump. The springs are adustable and I have tried up down and everywhere inbetween.

On other forums people seem to agree that the kit is amazing and the customer service is good so I guess I am alone in this but I would still like people considering the kit to consider the fact that they wont take an order for a replacement part and have not helped me at all. I sent them pics of the install 4 months ago and call a couple times a week and get empty promises. I think I am going to replace the coils next. I am trying to host pics so I will post some up soon.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
can you post up pics here?..

and what is the spring lenth and rate they sent you....those kits should ride fairly nice, as they were made for the "soccer dad" to be able to say I have coil overs...

and no, the RCD kit NOT made to jump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals