• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Compatability issue

whiteymole

Hey everybody. I have a question I'm hoping somebody here might know the answer to...
I recently bought a 1988 Ranger... nothing special, just a plain looking 2 wheel drive truck. It has the 2.3 liter motor with the Mazda 5 speed manual transmission. I only paid $700.00 for it, as it has a rod knocking. I found a motor for it, but I need to know if I can just install the motor without any modifications. The motor is out of a 1993 Ranger. It is also a 2.3 liter, but had an automatic transmission. I've been told my 5 speed shoould bolt right up no problem. However there may be a problem with the wiring. My motor has a distributor and only 4 plugs. The motor I want to put in has the distributorless ignition and 8 plugs.
Can anyone help me determin what problems if any I will have?
Thanks in advance...
Joe Pike
1988 Ranger 2.3lt 5 speed

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd hate to say you can't use the engine, but there are enough changes to be made to maybe make it difficult, if not impossible...

Without the distributor you would need to consider changing the wiring on your current truck to match the newer DIS system...or check to see if there is a hole for the distributor and then check to see if you can add a drive for the distributor (auxiliary shaft needed for the distributor)...

It would be easier to go with just changing the head from the newer 2.3...you mentioned you have a "rod knock", but there are no actual rods and what you hear may just be noisy lifters...

Noisy lifters may or may not quieten down by themselves (I have had a bit of good fortune with that by adding the Lucas Oil Treatment) and as long as there is nothing else major wrong it could last a long time...

You didn't mention how many miles on the engine, whether it burns or blows oil and a few other things that may be pertinent to whether or not you should consider swapping in a different motor...such as the shape of the body and frame...even though you just bought it, these things can make or break an expensive rebuild if you don't ensure they are in good condition...the floorboards especially are important since they can literally rot out from under you before too long...get that taken care of first before you spend money on a motor like I did...

If you do need to change the motor, you should actually consider an older style like from a Mustang or similar Ranger...

The only major thing at that point would be putting in a pilot bearing since the automatics don't use them and the manual trannys do...I know this much because I put a 2.3 that was on an automatic into my Ranger that had a manual tranny...so that much is usually easy...

But while you're in there with the motor out you might also consider a new clutch and slave cylinder...just so you don't have to yank it out again sooner than later...that's also what I had done just to be sure...it was only another $120 or so added to the cost of having the motor installed...so it was worth it...

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 93 should still have the hole for the distributor. It is covered by a plate. You can see this visually.
The distributor will work by not using the drivers side plugs or use the head off the old block.. Use the sensors out of the old block.

I don't know if the fuel system was returnless in 93 or later, I think it was 94. If it is returnless you will need the fuel rail off the old engine.

The pilot bearing/clutch info was valid.

I would assume you are talking about a connecting rod knock, not a pushrod knock.:)shady

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can put the distributor, and sensors from your bad engine, put a new pilot bearing the "new" engine, you will have to reuse your cylinder head, manifolds, injection system, etc. Don't forget to get new head bolts (they are torque to yield, and you can only use them once).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals