• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flip kit help???

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
well after studyin the axle flip kit i decided that since money was tight and i couldnt buy one i would jus have one made...its simple enough. my buddy made the brackets out of 4x4 1inch steel tubing..some heavy duty sh*t..lol..he made it exactly as the ones you would buy even with the offset hole....the hole wasnt that great but we were goin from scatch....we put them on and everything went ok but now the truck sits way lower than expected..it is on the frame....i mean its slammed out...and i feel these wierd vibrations and the transmission it makin some noise in the higher speeds...im gonna change it..but wat could cause this..and i think the angle of the rear end is off a bit..it points upward and causes the drive shaft to look like its in a bind perhaps..im not sure how to explain it..ill take a pic later if i can....any help would be appreciated

thanks

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
i got the actual DJM flip kit on and its less than 1 inch off the rubber bump stop. My rear end isn't off at all tho, driveshaft is pretty much perfectly level from the trans to the diff.

have you tried just loosening your u-bolts and rotating the axle forward? it could be your offset hole is...well offset a little too far, which would move your axle forward.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I wouldn't drive it! I did a similar drop & my differential was 7 degrees out.....doesn't sound or look like much, but it's enough to ruin u-joints or a drive shaft. You need to put a shim(wedge) that is tapered the right amount between the spring-packs & the axle pads on the rear end to get the proper angle from the drive shaft to the u-joint/pinion on the differential. If youwanna save money, you can do the shim thing yourself.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't drive it! I did a similar drop & my differential was 7 degrees out.....doesn't sound or look like much, but it's enough to ruin u-joints or a drive shaft. You need to put a shim(wedge) that is tapered the right amount between the spring-packs & the axle pads on the rear end to get the proper angle from the drive shaft to the u-joint/pinion on the differential. If youwanna save money, you can do the shim thing yourself.
like i said, if there was any chance of error in drilling the offset hole, even shims wouldn't help.

in fact shims may push the flip bracket off of the pin.

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
well you guys think that if i was to loosen the rear axle i could turn the rear to get a better angle....i think that the rear end needs to come back anyways so that the drive shaft is not jammed in the tranny...i think thats where my vibration is coming from
so jus move the axle back and turn it so that the angle is gets the drive shaft more in line with the tranny so that there isnt that much stress on it? then tighten everything down

im gonna do some adjusments to those brackets..im gonna trim them down cause im not sure that they are sittin flush on the axle which is causing the un needed drop
ill post pics tomorrow when i have light..so stay posted

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
well you guys think that if i was to loosen the rear axle i could turn the rear to get a better angle
i said that in my first post :icon_thumby:...if it's not that your offset hole would be off.

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
sorry..i meant that as an agreement with you lol
my grammar isnt so good right now..been a long day haha
thanks for your help..
i might jus take the brackets back off and re do the off set holes
anybody have one they could measure so i could get the demisions so i know where to place the whole..i dont like guess work..lol

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
anybody have one they could measure so i could get the demisions so i know where to place the whole..i dont like guess work..lol
i actually may have one, when they sent my kit i got 3 flip brackets...:icon_confused: it might still be in my truck

i'll get it tomorrow when i'm on lunch around 11:30-1:00 pacific

sean9721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I would also like to know the dimensions of the brackets. I take welding class so I have access to metal and equipment. If I were to make the brackets, i would weld them together and make them squarish. If I can see some pics of the tubing I might try that.

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
k..thanks...well pfc if you could do that that would be awesome i want to re make those brackets so i wont have to go through that again haha

sparkdic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The easiest and cheapest way I have found to flip an axle is buying a pair of spring perches from Summit. I paid $20 for mine (granted I can drive to Summit and pick them up), they had multipule holes in them already. I reamed one of the outter holes to fit the centering pin, drilled holes in the spring plates, set my axle on it, and bolted it down. After that I put it on our drive on lift, set the pinion angle and welded the perches to the diff.
Now I am aware not everyone has this option at home BUT it may not be that hard to track down an angle finder and the other doo-dads needed. In place of a lift, use 4 jack stands under the suspension close to ur wheels so the trucks weight is distributed as it would on flat ground, yet giving u room to monkey around. I also recommend setting stands under the frame ( not touching, but close) as a safety in the event u knock the truck off of the other stands.

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
With most flip kits they recommend frame notchs anyway......right? I know for first and second gens they all do.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
With most flip kits they recommend frame notchs anyway......right? I know for first and second gens they all do.
i wish i had the resources to do it...like i said, my bump stop is so close i can just put one foot up on the bumper and it bottoms out....looks great tho! lol

oh, and i got off work a little late tonight,too dark to look. getting ready for deployment stuff...pain in the ass sometimes. :annoyed:

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
notchs aren't that hard. I did mine in my drive way on my 92. Just get some of the bolt on inch and a half notchs bolt em on and cut the frame with a cut off wheel or grinder? Its easy just move ALL the fuel lines and electrical. It gives the axle an extra inch or so of travel and you can box the frame if you are worried about strength...but I wouldn't worry about it.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
well i got the measurements.

total inside length: 3.5 in

inside length to offset hole(short): 7/8 in

inside length to offset hole(long): 1 7/8 in

hope this helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals