• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Performance MAF?

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, Today I went out and bought a spectre high flow MAF housing because the stock 2.3l was too restrictive.I have a 1991 ranger 2.3l. I installed it and when I started it up, it ran like poo. Everytime I would give it some gas, the whole truck would shake and sputter back into life. I have read that the MAF sensor is very sensitive when it comes to calibration. Is there a way I could possibly make this work?

I have also read that after 5 or so days, that the engine will learn and teach itself. Is this true?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The MAF sensor is calibrated to the housing it came with. The MAF only reads a portion of the airflow going through the housing and then that number gets multiplied out to figure out the total volume. If you replace that housing with something bigger, it will throw all of the equations out of whack.

I know there are different sized MAF sensors used on different engines, if anything will work it'll have to be a sensor from a similarly sized MAF housing.

(And I'm curious, why do you think the MAF sensor is "too restrictive?" Unless you have a bigger TB, that's more restrictive than the MAF housing)

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
(And I'm curious, why do you think the MAF sensor is "too restrictive?" Unless you have a bigger TB, that's more restrictive than the MAF housing)
Me too... I believe some people just think since someone makes a 'bigger' something that the one your truck somes with is restrictive...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
you can't use it. take it back to autozone for a refund. :D you have to use the stock MAF housing. you can make an adapter if you want, or buy one.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
he can use it, if he has a standalone or some other way of programming it along w/ his pcm. modifying the maf also hurts engine performance by generating turbulence that throws off the maf reading as well. your best bet and cheapest route w/o having to redo the whole computer system is install your factory maf in its housing and call it a day. personally, i wouldnt bother worrying w/ the maf unless your boosting the engine above 20 psi or attaching it to a 5.0 engine, it is not restrictive at all for such small displacement. if i was looking for gains id take out the "silencer" in the intake tube and leave the rest alone. if there was a larger t/b however, id look into that, but i havent found one yet.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
upgrade to a 98-00 manifold, port it out to accept a bbk 56mm throttle body. Worked very well for me.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
this is on a 2.3 gofast, i dont know if that will work on a 2.3 like a 3.0 will.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
this is on a 2.3 gofast, i dont know if that will work on a 2.3 like a 3.0 will.
Ah, touche! I'm tired, thought I saw 3.0L in the sig. Maybe I was lookin at someone else's. lol. In that case, grab any briggs & Stratton 10 horse and swap it in there. That should give you a noticable increase.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Why would it give a noticeable increase? There is ZERO evidence that the factory system is restrictive.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
hence the reason i said reinstall the factory maf. there isnt any proof stating the silencer is restrictive either, but some say it makes a dif. i wont touch the maf since its doing its job just fine, the rest of the intake (airbox, intake charge hose and intake tube diameter besides the silencer and throttlebody reducer) is the same as a 3.0 and 4.0, more than enuff to power the lil 2.3.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow so many answers! I was just looking to add a little "bling" to the intake by adding 3 inch chromed pipe to the TB. I guess i will just leave it alone as it is. I have already swapped the Exhaust manifold for a 2000 header.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Why would it give a noticeable increase? There is ZERO evidence that the factory system is restrictive.
+1

Manufacturers make their intakes (along with air filters, and air boxes) as efficient as possible. All you did was screw up a system that was already "tuned" properly!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
+1

Manufacturers make their intakes (along with air filters, and air boxes) as efficient as possible. All you did was screw up a system that was already "tuned" properly!
+1... The only time you would need to modify an engine air intake or exhaust to gain power is if you were to modify the internal structure of the engine to where it was trying to use more air than the stock components can provide...

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
like say big bore/stroker/porting/high lift cam grind...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Maybe the cam, but the rest of it really doesn't do that much. Again, none of these parts are restrictive even on the 4.0's, so the fractional displacement/airflow changes you get from bore/stroke/porting aren't an issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals