• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

build or buy trailer

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will be needing some kinda of trailer for my bronco II. Would it be cheaper to buy or build? Pros and cons?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you got the tools and materials, build it, it will be cheaper and also how you want it. Unless you have killer deals on trailers on used trailers in your area, I'd build it
SVT

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can always find something that's 80% of what you need already built and titled. I love to build things but unless you have a special purpose, it's better to find one to buy. Ebay and Craigslist.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In the state of Kentucky the trailer does not need to be titled or tagged. Of course it would be if traveled out of state, depending which state you go to. Most trailers under 1500 are junk. beat up and broken down and will need 500 to make it road worthy. Also most used trailers around here are stolen. I will keep my eyes open and might find what I need.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, do you want to spend $500 or $2500? Both my trailers were bought as travel trailers with title. The first was just a chassis, the second was still a travel trailer. I have a buddy that works a lumber yard for discounted decking, and spent about $200 on steel, add to that chopsaw wheels, welding wire and a tank of gas, and I'm sure you can see it doesn't take $2000+ to build a trailer.

Mine are both still registered as travel trailers, for the simple fact that I haven't drug them down to get inspected. Never had a problem with it though. :icon_thumby:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
As for titling, I'm in TN, and you don't have to title here either. I went to new york to pick up a explorer, got stopped and was asked why didn't my trailer have a tag, I told the cop TN did not require it, and he let me go...
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals