• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Knock

trhull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I recently went offroading and went through some puddles and got the electronics wet. Then i was having problems starting the engine when it was cold. Now, the engine will is knocking and wont stop, it used to stop after a few seconds; there was an obvious timing retardation before, but now it wont happen.

Any ideas? I cleaned the MAF, checked the ignition, there wasn't anything visibly wrong with it. Im at a loss.

Thanks guys.

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
So I recently went offroading and went through some puddles and got the electronics wet. Then i was having problems starting the engine when it was cold. Now, the engine will is knocking and wont stop, it used to stop after a few seconds; there was an obvious timing retardation before, but now it wont happen.

Any ideas? I cleaned the MAF, checked the ignition, there wasn't anything visibly wrong with it. Im at a loss.

Thanks guys.
did your motor inhale some water? i have found no problems with getting the eletronics wet. i have had my motor and eletronics under water several times with no problems.

96_4wdr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
pull the ECU codes and please post codes here
probably failed sensor from water/mud corrosion on electrical connector
crank position sensor, MAF, O2, ECT and ACT all will cause lean air/fuel with knock

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

trhull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled a 63, and a 67 code. I have 94 ranger that was a 3.0L swapped in a 91 exploder 4.0L and have a frankensteined 91 exploder/93ranger harness. I have the mazda five speed and am not running ac. According to what I read, 63 is "TP circuit below minimum voltage" and 67 is "Neutral/Drive switch open or A/C is on".

Replaced the TPS and drove around a little bit; did not fix the problem. Could it be that I need to clear the codes before it will work properly?

Do you even think that a TPS will cause a lean a/f with knock?

Also, the engine temp according to the gauge has been fluctuating. Seems to be in accordance with acceleration, but it will heat up from N to M and back down pretty quickly. I was thinking if the timing was for whatever reason advanced that would make a little bit of sense. The only reason I wonder is because 96_4wdr suggested ECT could be malfunctioning.

Thanks

Last edited:

trhull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still no better, beginning to think i got some bad gas. Im getting terrible mileage, about 160 miles to 5/8 tank; hopefully that is just caused by bad gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals