• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuild or Swap

carlos031082

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988 Ranger short bed, 4WD, 2.3L 5 Speed with 98,000 original miles. At 75,000 my timing belt slipped, bent a valve and blew the head gasket. I had a valve job done and put it back together. The power did not return and I'm not sure if I did more damage than is apparent.

Should I
A: Overhaul the motor and add some performance upgrades
or
B: Do a swap 3.0 or 3.8L

My goals are a good truck for daily driving, mainly Northern Indiana winters, and some minor towing (the other truck is a '79 F-350 so 8-10mpg at best). Gas mileage was great, 22-27, until I had the engine problems. Now the best I can do is around 18 mpg and not near as peppy as before.

Suggestions?

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/photoplog/images/12151/1_n59102255_30849225_6814.jpg

mercman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Really depends on what you want. Sound like you were happy with it before, so a rebuild may be the way to go. It doesn't seem like you need one to me though. It sound more like your mechanical timing is off a little. Think like adjustable cam gear or 3key way timing sets, these allow you to change these a little to move your power band up or down the rpm range a little. Or twisting your distributor in the "older" cars for more power. Your computer won't let you adjust yours anymore if you even have one. Your ignition timing could be right, but if you are off the marks on your pulleys, or your belt isn't tensioned right you could fire just a little out. It will still run, but not make the power it should.

Before I did a rebuild I would check my mechanical timing @ the pulleys first, then compression, and if compression was low and I was burning oil I would rebuild. Just judging by the odometer reading you gave you should have some more miles left in there. Your fuel mileage could suffer by firing out of time.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
+1. The engine is non-interference. You shouldn't have bent any valves.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yep. I can't imagine how you bent a valve in the first place, because breaking a timing belt certainly won't cause it on these motors.

Sounds like you have something completely different wrong, and very possibly not even internal to the engine.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yep. I can't imagine how you bent a valve in the first place, because breaking a timing belt certainly won't cause it on these motors.

Sounds like you have something completely different wrong, and very possibly not even internal to the engine.
+1... Happened to me one time (timing belt snapped)... I replaced it and drove it home...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals