• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam swap?

redgooch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.3 fi. I was wondering if I could swap the cam out for something with a little more to it. Can I do that with the stock ecu & ignition?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had a head rebuilt with a "mild" racing cam on my 2.0...it made a bit of difference because the valves stayed open a bit longer...but I also used a 2.3 head that already had slightly larger valves than the original 2.0 head...IIRC...

You shouldn't have to actually change anything concerning the ECU or ignition because they don't affect this...(too much) but putting in bigger injectors and valves would give you more bang in this case...

I've read conflicting stories about higher quality ignition systems...some say they don't add anything while others swear by them...and I couldn't really tell you honestly because I've never invested in high-end components...

Maybe Mutant Pony or some of the others can comment more intelligently on this...but I haven't seen MP around for a while...hmmmmmm...

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
cams shift your powerband thruout the motor, depending on the duration and timing of the cam. higher lift cams add to this effect by drawing in more air and fuel. the stock injection system can compensate w/o the need for recal, your simply moving the time when the air and fuel is added, and w/ a higher lift cam increasing some air/fuel flow, the o2 sensor reads it and adjust accordingly. too strong of a cam will cause the engine to lope however and create an idle issue, i dont know how read the numbers but ive installed stage 1 and 2 cams in atvs and such and know how they work. never had to rejet or recal the fi simply from a cam, ignition timing usually doesnt have to be altered either, but never hurts to have it checked on a dyno. i want to install a cam on my 2.3 to move the hp to higher rpm and slightly increase, just dont know which one to get til i study how to read the numbers.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A cam swap is kind of a tricky subject for street engines, because the ones you want (that make the most power) don't make it until higher in the rpm range... I did a cam swap on my Camaro, it doesn't really come alive until 2500rpm and it's definitely more annoying to drive than it used to be... It's to the point where it becomes work to drive it on the street now...

redgooch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow!

Wow thanks for the great info. I want to go with a cam that gives a slightly lumpy idle, but at the same time doesn't go to high in rpms. I put a comp cams thumper cam in my camaro. It gave it a nice lumpy idle but at the same time didn't make it undriveable on the street. I love hearing a motor that is cammed out. I don't really know to much about 4bangers yet, but I love learning. If anyone could give me some numbers on the cams for 2.3s that would be great. Thanks again.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On my last head rebuild I picked up a head from an 89 Mustang 2.3...had the rollers so it is a higher rev head...but the idle is still a bit lumpy...whether that will ever go away I don't know, but the head is so tight it lopes (when it runs it is actually smoother)...

Even if you don't want the higher revs I'd recommend the roller cam style head if you're going to spend money...mine only cost $600 including the head itself from a local yard...but that is Canada and everything costs more...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wow thanks for the great info. I want to go with a cam that gives a slightly lumpy idle, but at the same time doesn't go to high in rpms. I put a comp cams thumper cam in my camaro. It gave it a nice lumpy idle but at the same time didn't make it undriveable on the street. I love hearing a motor that is cammed out. I don't really know to much about 4bangers yet, but I love learning. If anyone could give me some numbers on the cams for 2.3s that would be great. Thanks again.
When I swapped mine in the Camaro, I went with a pretty extreme cam... It lopes like everything, lol... I wish now I hadn't done that, and went with something a little less extreme...

redgooch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my last head rebuild I picked up a head from an 89 Mustang 2.3...had the rollers so it is a higher rev head...but the idle is still a bit lumpy...whether that will ever go away I don't know, but the head is so tight it lopes (when it runs it is actually smoother)...

Even if you don't want the higher revs I'd recommend the roller cam style head if you're going to spend money...mine only cost $600 including the head itself from a local yard...but that is Canada and everything costs more...
DO you know if any of the ranger motors came with the roller head. If so how can i tell (with out pulling the valve cover). Is the any casting #'s on the head that could give me a clue?

hippie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
anything after 87 as far as I know will have rollers

Last edited:

hippie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually late 86 according to my ford cpd parts system.

floodz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/5
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The tech library says its on 89 and up

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, it seems to vary a bit and I couldn't find anything specific...I was advised by a tech rep on this site to get a 89-92 Mustang head because they all came with the roller cams...so that's what I went for...but you can also add one as long as you use the appropriate followers (from what I just read)...

floodz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/5
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research on this as well cause im gunna buy me a new cam too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals