• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diff cover

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 ranger 2wd, 7.5 in the back. Its been leeking for a while so I wanted to put a new gasket in there along w/ changing the oil. But does the cover have a rubber gasket already on it? And if so, what if it looks like its all messed up and keeping the cover from sealing. :dntknw: Dunno what to do about this one.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
jut pull it, scrape stuff clean and put a new one on. should only be a few bucks and maybe a half hour if you take your time. if the cover its self is bent or twisted and thats why its not sealing, then you may have to swap it for a j/y part. as for the original gasket, i dont know if its rubbr or not. i would bet what you are seeing is rtv squished out around the edges.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have already pulled it, and I think you're right about the rtv. Thats some shitty stuff to scrape. Well, at least now I have a plan. Anybody have a good way to get the rtv off?

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a wire brush and brake cleaner worked ok for me! wear glasses though, brake cleaner hurts, trust me.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my dull putty knife and a lil over an hour worked for me. Thanks for the idea. Got er all done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals