• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992, want power equipment

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I orignally posted this in the interior section, stupid me. I have a 92 std cab
4x4 ranger automatic with manual windows and locks.
I want to convert to power windows and power locks. I know i can get parts from lmctruck.com. However i am going to check a junkyard first. Im not rich, but i would like a little luxury in the truck being it is my daily driver from maryland to DC/VA everyday. I want to get a set of doors from the yard and swap the parts over at home.
My question is, should i only be looking for gen2 power windows and locks, or both gen1 and gen2. I also need power door panels. Anyone know where i can get some. If i cant find any at the junkyard. What do i need to buy as far as actuators, regulators, etc etc, for power windows and power locks.
Thanks alot all
Shawn

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The smart thing would be to nab a set of power doors, if you can get lucky, and swap the parts over into yours. You're best off with second generation parts, as the cleanest change-over would be with the power interior door panels, too. Cutting the switches in isn't too big a deal, but then you're left with the old manual window crank hole. So if it were me, I'd look for a set of doors complete. Be aware that the wiring harness goes out of the doors and forward, around the front of the engine compartment. Get as much of the wiring as you can, too, although it's not too hard to make up some or most of the wiring. Good luck!

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the input RobbieD, yea im pretty much counting on finding power doors, now since i know its kind of a rare piece, i wont get my hopes up. Is there certain models to look for that were more common to power windows and locks. If so great, if not, how about BII's, i can also look for those in these right? Im not sure if BII's had power windows though.
Thanks again

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Unless I'm wrong, I do believe that B2 doors are the exact same as on the Ranger. And you may encounter the power accessories more often in a '89-'90 B2, if you can find one in the boneyard, as the SUV craze was starting and a lot of B2s were built with the power options. Otherwise an '89 to '92 Ranger is the best donor bet. I don't think that any particular trim package garrantees power accessories; some got 'em and some didn't. If at all possible try the locks and windows before you buy them; window clutches are easy to fix, but you want good motors, regulators and lock actuators.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
great, sounds good, ill keep an eye out for both the gen 2 and the b2 doors, hope i can find somethin worth my while. I appreciate it.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
found it

OK, so i found an 89' B2 in a Brandywine truck boneyard. I took the doors so it was easier to work with at home. I got everything but the drivers side switches and bezel, BUT i found one online so im hoping that pulls through. I tried to salvage as much harness as possible to make it any easier. NEXT QUESTION---> does someone have a write up on this on how to do, or am i going to have to research through a HAYNES book and go off of that. If anyone knows a write up that someone has done, please let me know, thanks
shawn

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good deal! You're off to a great start. I don't know of a write-up specifically for this, but I'll be glad to help you if I can. There's a good schematic here in the technical library for the locks:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Powerdoorlocks_1989on.JPG
That diagram does match the 1989 EVTM; and the B2 and Ranger share the same diagram. I'll see if I can scan the power window diagram Monday at work, and I'll try to figure out posting it or getting the file to a moderator to add to the library.

How much of the under-hood harness did you get? I'm hoping that you have both sides of the two engine compartment connectors, C123 (front driver's corner) and C125 (front passenger corner). Either way, it sounds like you'll just need to splice color-to-color, extending these harnesses.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic

I guess theres good and bad news. I do have the harness for the front drivers and passenger side of the engine compartment. HOWEVER, the boneyard takes out good engines, and the B2 had a good engine, so they cut the body just between the inside of the headlights, along with part of the harness. I have enough of the harness on both sides to say that it goes up the headlights, but it kind of looked like it ran over the fan, or even crossed the front, but its missing a 3 foot section or wire. The drivers side i have from the firewall ( the screw mount where all the wires terminate and go through the wall) up to the plugs on the headlights. And the passenger side i took the fuse box and the rest of the harness up to the lights. I appreciate all of your help RobbieD, and im hoping we can figure this out smoothly.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No biggee; you've got enough harness, and if you're having to splice in extensions anyway it doesn't matter if you're putting in 1 foot or 10 feet. Is there any way you can send me picture of your harness, laid out? I'm trying to figure out if you can salvage the two sets of connectors that go behind the headlights (C123 & C125).

Are you reasonably sure that the window motors and actuars operate OK?

Anyway, the best approach is to repair, or prepare the wiring harness before installing anything. In that case, you can "bench test" everything; or put another way, you can lay everything out, connected, temporarily power and ground the assembly and make sure all is good before installing it. It's great that you got the complete doors; it'll be much easier to see how the actuator mounting and linkage goes, and the same on swapping the window regulators. You'll be swapping the entire motor and regulator assemblies, and it's not too bad if you take your time and use common sense.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic

yes, i can take a picture of the harnesses laid out, it will take me atleast a day, my wife took the camera and left it over her friends house. I think it will be easily salvagable, i still have to keep an eye out for the drivers side switch, i lost the bid, so hopefully one will pop up again within reasonable time.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Pictures would be great, and I'll scan the power windows diagram tomorrow. Bummer about the switch auction, but one will turn up. Are you going to use the interior door panels from the donor doors?

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic

Well somewhat good news about the switch is i found another one for a buy it now, so i bought it, but pay pal is having issues so ill try to pay for it tomorrow. As far as the door panels, i was thinking about using them, but theyre dark blue, and i know i can die them or paint them to match my tan interior, but i was also thinking about possibly cutting my door panels ( the manual window crank falls in the place of where id have to cut), but i dont want the fabric to fold back on me. So im undecided so far.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well, if you end up putting the power switches in your existing panels, carefully cut the switch opening into the panel from the back side, without cutting the vinyl or cloth face material. Even if you're going in where the old crank hole is, that should still leave enough material to pull through the hole and then glue or staple it to the back of the panel. That prevents the material from "sneaking" out around the switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals