• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Increase comp ratio?

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can a 2.5 crank go in a 2.3 engine to increase the compression ratio? I noticed on the tech pages, that the 2.5 crank gives a longer stroke, but the comp ratio on the 2.5 is only 9.1, whereas later 2.3 engines are at 9.2. So I'm guessing this is caused by the pin location on the piston? Any comp ratio experts out there to clear this up?

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You are correct,different pin location.Need to cut the head to increase comp.We usually wack the head 80 thousandths for the race truck with EFI.Some of the guys with carb systems are cutting them so far they leave in the intake bolts and mill halfway thur them,almost 200

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why would you want to increase your CR from 9.1 to 9.2? Or maybe you want to go higher? You building a race truck, I hope?

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why would you want to increase your CR from 9.1 to 9.2? Or maybe you want to go higher? You building a race truck, I hope?
Not a race truck... I'm thinking of going high comp ratio, adding a turbo, and running E85. If done correctly, should give me tons of extra power for the rocks. :)

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cool... I'm not sure if I'd have E85 as a preferred fuel in mind for that set up though...

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool... I'm not sure if I'd have E85 as a preferred fuel in mind for that set up though...
Well it's cheap 105 octane. No way I'm going to try and use race gas. I'd like to be able to run premium as an alt, if I can't find E85, but that isn't an issue right now here in Denver.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
to be honest id like to see the gains on raising the compression to 11 or 12:1 n/a, if they are decent (say from 100hp to 145hp) i may consider doing it myself. add that, port the heads and headers/ported intake you might just have something w/o boosting. hell if the internals could take it id almost try a 100 shot of nos w/ dual rail injection to richen her up.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea i planned on doing a 2.5L crank in my new motor for my ranger. are they direct bolt up or is there some modifications required?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If I was building up a 2.3, I'd do a low compression 2.3 with a twin turbo set up... Although it would be neat to see a high compression 2.3... E85 actually has less energy per molecule than gasoline, so the increases you would get from raising your CR up will be less than what you would see with gasoline... Imagine what you could do if you could figure out a way to reverse cool the engine... My LT1 has 11:1 CR and it runs 87 just fine, because the coolant goes to the heads first... I think it's a neat idea... Wish you could adapt it to something else...

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I was building up a 2.3, I'd do a low compression 2.3 with a twin turbo set up... Although it would be neat to see a high compression 2.3... E85 actually has less energy per molecule than gasoline, so the increases you would get from raising your CR up will be less than what you would see with gasoline... Imagine what you could do if you could figure out a way to reverse cool the engine... My LT1 has 11:1 CR and it runs 87 just fine, because the coolant goes to the heads first... I think it's a neat idea... Wish you could adapt it to something else...
Some of the stuff I've read, has indicated that E85 would like 13 or 14:1 CR for best results.

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the other apprentice at my work is going to be running e98 which hes ordering from the states to use in his race truck even though it will run richer he can crank that timing right up there!

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can a 2.5 crank go in a 2.3 engine to increase the compression ratio? I noticed on the tech pages, that the 2.5 crank gives a longer stroke, but the comp ratio on the 2.5 is only 9.1, whereas later 2.3 engines are at 9.2. So I'm guessing this is caused by the pin location on the piston? Any comp ratio experts out there to clear this up?
Anytime you increase cylinder volume, and you use the same piston configuration as the original,(flat top, dished, etc.), the compression ratio(cr) will increase.

If you reduce combustion chamber(cc) size, say with pop up pistons, replacing a dished piston with a flat top, replace the cylinder heads with cc's of reduced volume, etc., you will also raise the cr.

Same result if you increase cylinder volume by stroking.

The reason, cr is determined by the space in the cc above the piston divided into the cylinder volume with the piston at bottom dead center. Ex: Cc volume = 10cc, and the cyl volume is 100 cc. Divide 10 into 100, and you get 10 which results in a 10:1 ratio. This is the static ratio.

Cam timing also affects compression. Wide duration cams will bleed off compression at lower rpm, and the compression will return at high rpm.

Supercharging has the same effect as raising the cr. That is why high static cr's are not good when supercharging as it increases the probability of detonation.:)shady

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So how do I determine where I will end up, given a certain mod to CR?

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
But for things like the cam and whatnot, how do I get there? And how do I obtain the Cc(combustion chamber?) of the engine? From the tech page, I can get bore and stroke, but that seems about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals