• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transsmission issues

steelheadboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so first off heres the stats:
96 ranger 4x4 super cab with the 4.0 and i beleve a 4R55E automatic trans

So about two weeks ago the trans started sliping out of gear real bad and example when i back out of my drive way which has a slight incline it will pop put of reverse then once im out on the road and roll forward it will go back in to gear or ill pull out of a parking spot on a level lot and it will slip out of gear if i stop in the lot and then proceded to go back in to gear after it has rolled forward. Now this morning i got in my truck and hooked up the boat and pull out of the drive way and shift in too reverse and the whole truck shakes and it died also the over drive off light was blinking so i unhooked the boat and still the same thing so i drove it around the block to get her warm and still the same untell i shut it off and restart her the every thing was fine. i changed the fluid about a month ago and there was no metel in the old fluid and the new fluid dose not smell burnt at all. I'v delt with manule tras before but i don't have the foggest about automatic transmissions...... so and input on what the hell is going on and what i should do would be fantastic thanks.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
By going out of gear...you mean it doesn't move (like it's in neutral, but it's still in gear) or the actual shifter handle moves out of gear. Think you mean the former...

steelheadboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as in it goes out of gear like ill be driveing stop behind another car or slow down and it will go out of gear in to what feels like nuteral its not the actual handle/lever moving and once its warm its not bad at all.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, its still in "gear". All the shifter does is direct oil flow to different clutches or breaks inside the trany. When it seams out of gear, the clutch/break is sliping, which is not good. What gears does it do it in? it sounds like its time for a new tranny dude

steelheadboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just first and reverse

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals