• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

valve cover nightmare.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, since 1:00 today, ive been taking off my valve cover to replace the gasket because it was leaking . Not too bad right? well, to get the valve cover off, you have to take the egr off. This is when it all went haywire.

The egr hose cracked when trying to undo the tube from the exhaust manifold and i had to cut it off.then i had to drop the exhaust manifold to be able to reach the egr tube on the header. This has been my biggest problem. How in the world do I get the header out so i can take off and replace the egr?

I also ask you, Is this really necesary to go through all this? Just for a simple valve cover gasket?

Im about to go out of my mind and just start throwin crap.:annoyed: :pissedoff:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
With FI...yes...it is necessary to remove all that stuff to replace the valve cover...and I hope you are putting on a blue rubber one instead of the cork because they are ten times better...and ten times more expensive...

The only suggestion I can offer for the exhaust manifold is to try to do it when the engine is warm...the bolts seem to come out easier...if they've never been turned you could end up with a few broken ones...and that's about as much fun as you can imagine...

When I did mine I was fortunate that they all came out easily (probably because the previous owner had done it recently) and instead of dealing with stripped bolts I went to a Ford dealership and spent about $80 on ten new bolts...and use the anti-seize on them because after pulling the head I realized that I'd have to do it again some day soon (cracked piston)...

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
While you have it off ,you might as well put a 94 header on it.If you are going to need a new EGR pipe,I don't believe Ford makes them anymore.If you do find a place to get them,would you post it here?

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, i am using the blue gasket. How do you go about taking the manifold out though? Do you have to take it through the top or through the bottom? Also, can i use a copper pipe for the egr tube?

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i spent a great deal of time on replacing mine also. i was suprised at how little sludge there was in the valvetrain. also while i was at it i replaced all the vacuum lines.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Never had good luck with the copper pipe,Doesn't yours have 2 little vaccum lines coming off it?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, i am using the blue gasket. How do you go about taking the manifold out though? Do you have to take it through the top or through the bottom? Also, can i use a copper pipe for the egr tube?
Edit: just reread your post...answered my question...

You can undo the two bolts that hold the down pipe onto the header and once the other bolts are removed it should come out easy enough...you may need to do that from under the vehicle if I recall correctly...but once it's disconnected you should be able to pull it out...

Since you are removing it, why not find the shorty header off a 93+ B2300 or Ranger...they're lighter to work with and easier to get at...it's just an added expense at this point that you will probably appreciate later...

Last edited:

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, i didnt read your post until now. I took off the ignition pack and the tensioner pulley and the thing came right out. I come to find that there are THICK layers of build up in the pathways for the exhaust. a lil seafom and a wire brush that cleared things right up.

I am actually going to a junk yard tommorow for tbe header and have already made a block-off plate for the EGR. I am painting the valve cover old ford blue. It looks beautiful and I will be posting pics soon in the show off forum soon.

On a side note, i am having troubles finding the PCV valve on my 2.3l. Went to autozone, bought one, and came home to find that I can't find it! I know this is a common problem but now i'm in their shoes.

Thanks all for the help! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool...

I wouldn't recommend blocking off the EGR because it does serve a purpose, temporary is fine...but if you can find a good pipe at the junkyard when you pull the header it might kill two birds...

As for the PCV, it may actually come up from the back of the driver's side of the intake on that year...but they all come from the driver's side under the intake and if you can get your hand in under the intake about level with the knuckle on the steering column you should feel the canister that the hose runs up from...just trace it back and it should come up to the valve itself before it goes into the throttle body...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
PCV valve is on the back side of the intake, about where the two halves bolt together

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright! I just got back from going to 5 diffrent junk yards and finnaly found a header off a 2000 ranger. It fits like a dream. The only problem is... were do i put the o2 sensor? The new headers come with 2 tubes comming out of the EGR pipe and those tubes are connected to an electrical black box. Is this the O2 sensor?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, I know the 93 has a place for the O2 sensor on the bottom of the intake (plugged mine with a bolt) and there is a place on the other side for the EGR pipe...but not sure about the 2000 setup...I've read where some of them are actually down lower on the down pipe and have heard of some people drilling and welding on the bung for the O2 sensor...as for the black box...???...sorry, didn't go for a 2000 when I was looking...but I'm sure someone on here can tell you...or you might try checking the library resource link...will get that for you in a few minutes...

OK...click the link below and you should be able to find something (not sure...never checked for exhaust)...the user id and password are auto...

click the Auto Repair link once you're in the site

OK...I did find a diagram of the 2000 exhaust...the HO2S (heated Oxygen Sensor) and it appears to be below the connector and is on the down pipe...not sure what the box is you're referring to though...but the O2 sensor is like a tube...not a box...

Last edited:

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright! I just got back from going to 5 diffrent junk yards and finnaly found a header off a 2000 ranger. It fits like a dream. The only problem is... were do i put the o2 sensor? The new headers come with 2 tubes comming out of the EGR pipe and those tubes are connected to an electrical black box. Is this the O2 sensor?
i beleive those 2 tubes go to the dpfe box. ill check under my hood later and get back to ya

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are some pics of the EGR tube.

Thank you all for the help!

EDIT: I just looked at the tube an the box is silver! Sorry !

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i think thats the dpfe on that egr tube

*edit* the technical term is egr valve pressure sensor

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals