• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock and Spring Ques.

NVR2FST

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96' 4x4 STX 5spd that needs some suspension work. I figure while I'm doing it, I might as well level it off. What brand springs (thinking 1.5") and what are some good shocks for these truck? Is there anything else that will need to be changed? Would spacers work just as good as new springs?

Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
spacers will definitely work. getting a taller spring could possibly allow you to get a little more articulation out of the front end, though.

your stock shocks will work for a short lift like this.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I'd look into the skyjacker leveling coils for your truck and if you want you could to a shock for the leveling kit aswell, but the stock length should be fine.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If I were in your shoes, I'd just do the spacers. They're cheap, and you probably wouldn't notice much better articulation from the leveling coils. You'll also get a better ride out of stock coils and spacers. I'd also stick with stock shocks.

Just judging from the question and the lift height, it sounds like ride quality is more important than performance.

NVR2FST

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really don't plan on off-roading the truck much. My real concern is the stock shocks and springs have 103k miles and I just want to replace everything (just bought the truck). I'm just guessing that the stock coils have sagged a bit since new. I figured I would just lift if up a bit while I'm at it to make room for larger tires in the future.

Thanks for the feedback....

If I were in your shoes, I'd just do the spacers. They're cheap, and you probably wouldn't notice much better articulation from the leveling coils. You'll also get a better ride out of stock coils and spacers. I'd also stick with stock shocks.

Just judging from the question and the lift height, it sounds like ride quality is more important than performance.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like your trying to fix something that may not be broken. if the truck isnt leaning (usually to the drivers side), than your springs are probably fine. i'd throw some spacers in there and spend the money saved on springs on a nice tune-up.

NVR2FST

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The wheels are leaning in quite a bit causing some tire wear issues, that's why I was just going to change out the springs/ shocks and be done with it.

Unfortunately, I spent some money on a tune up and the thing still stumbles at low rpm. I'm hoping to get that figured out at some point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals