• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck broke down, NEED HELP!!!!

TheRedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pulling out of the neighborhood and the engine just cut out, the battery light came on first(the battery has been going but its been fine the last couple days.) but when i turn the key it just clicks. i had it towed home but have no idea where to start. any advice at all would be useful... thanks in advance.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a starter soleniod. Did your battery recharge at all after you started it? might also be a alternator.

TheRedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i read ur thread that talked about urs going out, but my lights still go on, the radio and everthing is still getting power. and the battery charges when it starts. lol.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Loose wire somewhere...start with the ground on the starter...that one always works its' way free on mine...and test the battery if you have a voltmeter...often I can turn on my lights etc but there is not enough juice to crank the starter...

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Check your battery leads, they're know for corroding from the inside. They may look fine, but that's not always the case.

TheRedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my battery is only pushin 10 volts. thats not enough to start it right? we put a jump start on there and it went to 12.3 volts but it still wouldnt start. i guess ill check the other ideas then. it sounds like its cranking and the starters working, but still nothing...

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is the motor turning over? if the starter is just clicking and not turning over then it could be the starter solenoid. my friends truck had that problem. it just died while he was driving it. turned out to be that solenoid.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is the motor turning over? if the starter is just clicking and not turning over then it could be the starter solenoid. my friends truck had that problem. it just died while he was driving it. turned out to be that solenoid.
he said all it did was click, so that means its gotta be the starter solenoid.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
?
If the relay is clicking, it could still be the starter itself, lack of sufficient power from the battery, or a wiring problem.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
in his last post he said it sounded like it was cranking and it sounded like the started was working. thats why i asked if it was actually turning over. so it isnt necesarily the starter solenoid. it could be the starter itself or loose wiring.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Try giving the solenoid on top of the starter a rap with the end of a screwdriver...if it engages after that then your solenoid is sticking and probably on the way out...

You can also try jumping the relay on the firewall by placing a screwdriver across the terminals...but be careful with that because those tend to fry very easily once the plastic housing gets brittle...if it works by jumping that then just replace that part...

But, again, it sounds like just a loose wire...

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When my 95 did that it ended up being the wiring. I took out my starter and jumped it with some battery cables and determined it was good. It ended up being good as well.

I don't remember which wire it was but you're going to have to check it all out first before just throwing a starter at it. Heck, some auto stores will check the starter for you.

Allen

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Mark. I actually had this same thing happen on my truck not to long ago. When I went to investigate, the wire that hooks to the starter that gets power when you turn the key to the start position had worked its way out. Plugged it back in, and it fired right up.

TheRedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot guys, but half the stuff u guys r saying i dont even know how to get to, ill have a couple friends check out wat ur saying. this is a video of wat its doing tho...

VIDE0

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like your timing belt broke. Reason it sounds funny is only two cylinders (from the sound of it) are getting compression because the cam isn't spinning. The starter is working fine, ignore it at this point. Take the plastic cover off of the top front part of the engine and have someone watch to see if your belt is turning when you crank it. Charge your battery too, it sounds a little low.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals