• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold start problem on my '89

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to this forum and would like some help/input on a problem on my '89 Ranger 2.3. With the weather getting cooler the truck is hard to start and seems to be missing under throttle until the truck warms up, then it runs great! I've cleaned the idle control valve and the EGR valve but this does'nt seem to have helped - Could it be the coolant temp sensor and where is it located - Any help would be appreciated !

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just replaced the plugs on my dads f250, and it starts allot better(it did what urs sounds like its doin) also a cap and rotor prob wouldnt hurt

ps. the 250 also had the origonal plugs as it his 180,000 miles 2 days ago
ya shes a part of the familY(we bought it with 80k)

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
check body grounds first, i think one on firewall, one by radiator and on bell housing, gets rusty and computer gets wrong reading will give you fits had this problem on several trucks

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I'd suggest you start with checking the computer for trouble codes.

frdranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 2.3 that does the same thing when its cold, itll start up and idle fine but when you go to give it gas it cuts out and sputters

Jonboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 92 that does the same exact thing since I bought it. Starts and idles really irratic or, sometimes it just dies. After taking off it acts as if it is under a load then all of a sudden it clears up and goes. the only codes I could get were for the coil packs. It didnt say which one so I had them both Ohm tested. Found one to be cracked and replaced it and still had no luck in resolving this issue. Im begining to wonder if it is the ignition control module. I posted this issue here before on the old forums and everthing that I tried didnt work. Still fooling with it when I can.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input I don't know if the 2.3 has the coolant temp sensor but it does have a air charge temp sensor - i changed it out this weekend and still did not help actually it seems to be worse as it took the truck longer to start running right - i'm going to try switching back the old sensor and see what happens - it was pretty dirty when i pulled it out so i cleaned it up and put it aside -just in case-very annoying

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also forgot to mention that the check engine light is not coming on to indicate that there is a fault code in the ECM - I also found the location of the coolant temperture sensor - below the vacuum tree on the intake manifold on the underside - I will change this out this afternoon - looks real sweet to get at - this should be fun - i'll LYK tomorrow how it turns out:temper::temper:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure about this stuff on a ranger, but it all works similar... does it idle up when it is cold (when you finally get it started)?

Usually the temp sensor tells the engine/computer that it will need a richer gas mixture and then idles it up as well. Could be the temp sensor or a cold start sensor (if so equipped). Also, a vacuum leak will do the exact same thing, it will pull too much air through the leak and lean out the mixture- which creates a hard starting condition.

I'd say if it idles up once started, look for the vacuum leak. If it doesn't, start checking out those sensors, because most likely the engine/computer doesn't recognize it is cold outside.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I switched out the coolant temp sensor yesterday afternoon and this morning it started fine but still stumbling under acceleration until its warmed up - I'm not sure what else to try - it runs great after its warmed up - i guess i'll see if there are any fault codes in the computer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals