• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start!!!!

Pauls86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I am working on my Ranger runs great,but when you shut it off and try to start it back up it turns over it just wont start.You smell gas like it flooded out trying to start back up.It has a new F.P.R on it.Any thoughts.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
so how do you know if it runs great if you can't get it started?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, if you have the 2.9 like your information indicates (I thought they were 2.8 until 88) then you may want to check out the v6 forum for that...

But if you're running a carbed 2.3 then you might want to check that the fuel return line (if applicable) or some other emission control is not plugged up...more information would be helpful either way...

Pauls86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, if you have the 2.9 like your information indicates (I thought they were 2.8 until 88) then you may want to check out the v6 forum for that...

But if you're running a carbed 2.3 then you might want to check that the fuel return line (if applicable) or some other emission control is not plugged up...more information would be helpful either way...
No my 86 is a 2.9 and I am working on a 88 2.3.It will restart if you let it set over night.The truck is F/I.When you start it up and drive it it runs out real good but when you shut it off it will not start back all you smell is gas till it has sat for awhile.I have never seen a 87 or 88 2.8

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No my 86 is a 2.9 and I am working on a 88 2.3.It will restart if you let it set over night.The truck is F/I.When you start it up and drive it it runs out real good but when you shut it off it will not start back all you smell is gas till it has sat for awhile.I have never seen a 87 or 88 2.8
OK, that makes more sense...my lack of complete understanding of how FI works leaves me at a disadvantage, so I'd have to leave it for someone with more knowledge...but I'd still recommend checking for the fuel return line that is supposed to allow excess fuel to drain off back to the tank...it doesn't cost anything to check...but be careful if you are disconnecting anything since the fuel is under pressure...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
does that year have a distributor? i'd start by pulling a plug and checking if you have fire when it displays a no-start.

Pauls86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It has spark and the lines flow good.It just floods as soon as you try to restart it.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
start pulling the pluggs when it get flooded and see if all the cylinders are flooded or if it's just 1. could help narrow down the problem.
possibly a leaky injector.

Last edited:

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
start pulling the pluggs when it get flooded and see if all the cylinders are flooded or if it's just 1. could help narrow down the problem.
possibly a leaky injector.
thats the first thing that poped into my mind. Maybe you have blown out some the tiny holes in the fuel injector and now have non vaporized gas. its just a thought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals