• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Governor

homeontheranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what's the cheapest way to remove the governor? i've checked around on a few boards and seems the conscensus is "buy a programmer"... well, i dont' ahve $400 to throw down on a programmer i'd probably use a couple times. found some software pacakge that you can turn your laptop into a code reader (AutoTap) but didnt' see a price on the package.

im a cheap SOB. help me out, lol

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the software requires an adapter to go from your OBDII port to USB. the only one ive seen is the VCM that goes along with fords IDS. this setup is in the thousands of dollers range.

your only option is a programmer. the price is steep, but it gives you lots of options...such as adjusting your speedo to correct for tire size changes, increasing power and towing for 3 different octanes, adjusting transmission shift points, ect.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
There is a way by disabling the VSS
http://rogueperformance.com/vss.html

I tried it, didnt like it and dont recommend it. it messed up all my shift points and made my driveability horrible. and on top if it there's really no reason to go faster then where the factor governor kicks in, I kno my truck feels like crap over 80 mph.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
that "mod" also disables your ABS when you need them most...at 92+MPH...

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The speed limiter (governor) is there for stupid people's protection!

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol.... that one's signature worthy!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fact that you have encountered the limiter makes that statement arguable.

homeontheranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what a bunch of commodians...

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, but that statement usually goes along with

"WHATEVER you do, don't let anything bad happen!"

As for your original topic, I doubt the Ford Store will shut off your speed limiter for you (maybe you could ask really nicely?). If all you want to do is just that, I don't think it's worth it to buy your own programmer. Do you have a friend of a friend that has one that'll work? I also find it annoying when I kick it down to pass someone in a hurry on the interstate that my truck shuts off at 91, but, like you, I'm not gonna spend $$$ on a programmer I probably won't use for anything else.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I also find it annoying when I kick it down to pass someone in a hurry on the interstate that my truck shuts off at 91, but, like you, I'm not gonna spend $$$ on a programmer I probably won't use for anything else.
If you have to hit 91 in order to pass someone, then you don't need to pass them.

chris1044

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
LOL @ people who think ford puts governors on to keep you from speeding......

Do you realize why, in most cases, a governor is installed? Think about it, if motorcycles can be allowed to do 182 (governed @ that speed here in the states as agreed upon by all manufacturers capable of reaching/breaking that speed) why would Ford govern a truck at only 91???

Hmmmm.......well, maybe there is an engineering reason behind something like this....like preventing things like high frequency vibes that destroy components, drive shaft deflection, etc.

Trust me, I've seen test on drive train components @ OEM testing facilities....most times they govern a vehicle to keep it from destroying itself, not to regulate speed (you ever watch a drive shaft at 100 mph in slow mo?? Lets just say they're not straight anymore)

While actual vehicle speed is considered in most vehicles with governors, usually on trucks and some other cars it's installed to keep it from catastrophic failure at a high rate of speed (which could result in the possibility of a fatal accident = liability for the corporation)

And edit: agreed, your ranger doesn't need to go any faster than 91

Last edited:

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I'll raise my voice in the "Rangers don't EVER need to go above 91mph" choir... with this addendum: "...unless you've done some serious modifications!"
~Ken

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals