• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'notchy' just doesn't feel smooth

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My new/used tranny and clutch are in. My test ride says the clutch seems just right (disengages mid-way) but, the initial push into any gear while sitting is a tough push. As if the syncros are not doin their job.
Is there adjustments on the top of the tranny that would make it act this way? I have no history on the box but is is clean, dry outside and topped with fresh Mercon.:icon_confused:

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You might have a little clutch drag. The synchros are tryring to stop the spinng input shaft. They won't let you shift into gear until it stops. If it isn't too bad, I'd drive it a few miles in stop and go traffic to see if it might clear up on its own.

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
either that or the clutch system isnt fully bled and theres a little bit of air still trapped either in the master or the slave.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
mine actually does this too, i swapped my tranny and put my new slave back in the rebuilt tranny, keeping in mind that my 96 has a brand new clutch/slave/throwout and pressure plate, i still have trouble getting it into gear without physically jamming the bitch in, sometimes when im stopped and put it into 1st it will clunk/grind in. Or when i downshit from 2nd to 1st or 3rd to 2nd it will grind slightly. I'm thinking its air so i'll have to bleed the system, however i thought if you disconnect the quick-connects on the tranny it shouldnt cause air to enter the line?

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine isn't that bad but into first at a light, is tough. I usually do the ol' double-clutch from first to second while rolling anyway.
I guess I'll work on the bleeding some more too. No air so far, just a nice steady stream. Must be the beer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals