• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

weird gas mileage issue

Cyrus2000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I have a 96 Ranger xlt extd cab, 2.3L 4banger, 5spd manual tranny.

I have noticed lately that the first half of my gas tank nets me about 200-250miles on the trip odometer. This sees the needle on the gas gauge go from above F to right about the middle marker line. Then on the next quarter of the tank, I get about 70-80miles, and on the final quarter, running the truck til the needle is on or below the E, I only get about 40-50 miles. It seems like as soon as i hit the 1/4 tank mark, I just start losing gas like crazy. I was on the highway not long ago, and saw it drop that entire last quarter tank in under 20 miles traveling at 75mph. I know for a fact that my fuel filler neck is cracked, but other than that, I dont know of any issues with the gas delivery system. what can i do about this? its ruining my per-tank fuel economy :(

ceraboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The non-linearity in the fuel gage response is quite normal, not only for rangers, but many other vehicles. I get about 200miles on the first half and then just over 100 before the needle starts getting too close to E for me. My mileage has always been from 23 to 28 mpg, and its been running like this since I bought it. Unless you are physically leaking fuel, which you should easily smell, it is nothing to get to concerned about.

Have you been tracking your overall mileage, this would help diagnose whether or not you have a real problem.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
i get like right under 20mpg i think lol it sucks...

Cyrus2000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
on my current tank, im only going to get about 350 miles. pretty crappy for 20 gallons, IMO. and that one time on the highway, i was making the drive from northern california to southern california, cruising on interstate 5, which is long straight and flat. i was at 320 miles on the trip gauge when it hit the last 1/4 marker on the gas gauge, and i only made it to 360 miles before it was at E and i had to stop to fill up. ive had other times on i5 where i got 450 miles on a tank. i dont know whats going on, but i feel i should get better gas mileage. i have just replaced the cat and had a new 2.25" catback exhaust put on. also, i took out the intake "smoother" thing, and i have replaced the stock air filter with a k&n cone filter, though i kept the stock airbox and snorkel.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I ony get like 16mpg, which is why the next ranger will be a 4.0

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
My record worst mileage with the 2.3/5 speed combo is 22mpg. If you're getting 16...

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My record worst mileage with the 2.3/5 speed combo is 22mpg. If you're getting 16...
I got an automatic. been like that on gas since at least 2004

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Fuel economy ratings between my 5 speed '94 and your automatic '99 are only 1mpg apart. If you're getting 16mpg, something is amiss. Instead of switching to a 4.0 because it gets the same fuel economy as you're getting now, why not investigate and fix the problem? Even the newer, lowered ratings still put you at 18 city, 23 highway (original ratings were 20/25). I regularly hit the original 27mpg highway rating of my '94.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Fuel economy ratings between my 5 speed '94 and your automatic '99 are only 1mpg apart. If you're getting 16mpg, something is amiss. Instead of switching to a 4.0 because it gets the same fuel economy as you're getting now, why not investigate and fix the problem? Even the newer, lowered ratings still put you at 18 city, 23 highway (original ratings were 20/25). I regularly hit the original 27mpg highway rating of my '94.
I would have no idea where to start there?

ctdutro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Honda
Transmission
Manual
Might be EGR

This is going to seem like a very odd one, but look and see if your EGR piping is intact. In my 98 2.5l I had similar problems and it turned out to be a broken EGR return line that was leaving my intake sucking in fresh, hot air from around the exhaust manifold and my O2 sensor seeing fresh air between cylinder pulses. Look all along the tube i have heard they can crack and break just about anywhere.

SamMalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check your radiator fan for a siezed clutch. If its locked up you could lose as much as 4 mpg. Happened to me. Changed it and I'm back to 27 mpg.

93 Ranger 205,000 miles.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
...pretty crappy for 20 gallons, IMO....
My ranger only filled to 14.4 gallons but it was a 92 did thye change something?Double check the capcitiy maybeyou get moremileage than you think?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My 4 banger (87 motor) that I had only got 16 mpg in the summer and 12 mpg in the winter. My dads 84 6 cylinder only gets 10-12 mpg in the summer and 6 mpg in the winter. And he has all the emissions stuff hooked up and so did mine.

Anybody else get worse?

DailyDriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine has been getting 17-18 since early 2008. Prior to that I was getting 21-22. Not sure why it dropped. But I was getting 425-450 a tank now it's more like 350-375.

Maybe the quality of the gas???

I'll look into the fan clutch idea though.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Things to check: tire pressure, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, MAF, MAP, EGR, timing.
If your EGR is not working correctly, you can get pinging, and that will kill your mpg. The ping is the engine trying to run backwards as it is firing off before it should, so it wants to push the piston the wrong way. Can get a significant hit on mileage if it doesn't work.
Dragging brake shoes or pads.
If you have a carb, the float setting, idle mixture setting and the power valve. Choke pull down or heater tube/element.
If the MAP doesn't work, you'll have a crappy idle, and poor mileage. If the MAF is dirty or broken, you can have the same thing.
Pull the codes from the ECM or OBD-II computer.
tom

My 85 2.3/5 speed gets 23-24 driving around in rural area mixed with some freeway. On a road trip, it will get 27 w/o trying very hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals