• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Lima

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish you guys would stop knocking the Lima motors, hay,the dont have the power of the duratec, but they are a very durable motor, many are running just fine well north of 200,000, not everyone has the money these days for a new ride, just my 2 cents, pops13.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
true, my mom sold her 93 ranger with 250k miles on it, the engine was still runing strong, no oil burning , no nothing, now she drives a 03 duratec 2.3, she says she misses tha real truck feeling of the Lima, even it was not that powerful or good with mpg, she says the new one feels like a car, not a truck

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ehh mine died at 78000 miles due to a 5000 rpm shift. but now im putting in a real engine. a CHEVY SMALL BLOCK HOW YA LIKE ME NOW

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mmm chevy in a ford?? not my favorite combo, but its your truck lol!!
i wouldnt mix a ranger with chevy

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i dont put ford in a chevy but vice versa. its all good, if i had a 302, id put it in there, but fortunatly i dont lol

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had a 95 wit the lima motor that i loved but i sold it to my buddy wen i got my duratec truck.. instantly i fell in love with the duratec's power and mpg but after the newness wore off theres quite a few things that i dislike about the lil d-tec.

1. the duratec is a noisy ass engine, sounds like a diesel wen cold:sad:.. the lima is much quieter and smoother

2. the d-tec has a weird idle air controll that holds rpms up between shifts. it really makes it hard to find the sweet spot and make a smooth shift. the lima drops rpms perfectly, its almost effortless to shift smooth

3. the duratec exhaust note is that of a honda civic:bawling: wheres the lima really isnt ricy at all.. my 95 sounded pretty mean wit the magnaflow muff i had on it

i still love my new truck but i do miss the lil ol lima

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i had a 95 wit the lima motor that i loved but i sold it to my buddy wen i got my duratec truck.. instantly i fell in love with the duratec's power and mpg but after the newness wore off theres quite a few things that i dislike about the lil d-tec.

1. the duratec is a noisy ass engine, sounds like a diesel wen cold:sad:.. the lima is much quieter and smoother

2. the d-tec has a weird idle air controll that holds rpms up between shifts. it really makes it hard to find the sweet spot and make a smooth shift. the lima drops rpms perfectly, its almost effortless to shift smooth

3. the duratec exhaust note is that of a honda civic:bawling: wheres the lima really isnt ricy at all.. my 95 sounded pretty mean wit the magnaflow muff i had on it

i still love my new truck but i do miss the lil ol lima
yeah thats the same things we found on the 03 2.3 it has great mpg, and more power, but tha damn thing sounds like a diesel truck the valves are too noisy, and the thing with the rpms and shifting, is a real annoying stuff:annoyed:
but its cool to drive at highs peeds cuz the engine has good power
and it burns tires more easily :headbang:

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
well i have a 95 lima and id rather have it than the dura tech. Newer isnt always better and older to me is. ive beat the hell outta my lima and knock on wod it keeps taken it like a lil bitch it is. I have to agree with every one one the shifting thing also. As far as the more power thing i shift at high rpms neways so power at ne speed arent that noticeable.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
If you ever get into computer tuning that setting (in GM computers anyways) is called the idle follower. It's a setting the computer uses to control the IAC. And yeah, there isn't much I would trade my Lima for, besides a Lima with a rotary muffler.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you ever get into computer tuning that setting (in GM computers anyways) is called the idle follower. It's a setting the computer uses to control the IAC. And yeah, there isn't much I would trade my Lima for, besides a Lima with a rotary muffler.
is there a way u can tune the IAC on these duratec trucks?????

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I haven't messed with any of the OBD2 programming. I know some of the guys on 60v6 that swap in OBD2 systems into their OBD1 cars use either an HPTuners or DHP to reflash their ECMs. That or they go to stand alone like Haltec or Megasquirt. I would run a search for Ranger OBD2 tuning or something like that to find out who is messing with programming and what they are using to do it.

EDIT: Now that I'm not tired, the equipment for OBD2 tuning is expensive. I think the guys from my car club spend about $3-400 for it, plus you have to have a laptop to mess with the code. But the positive thing is you can change every aspect of the tune in the computer. Everything from idle speed, shift points (for electronically controlled autos), to air/fuel ratios. The down side is, if you don't know what you are doing, you can screw things up fast and turn your engine into a molten glob of metal by running it too lean. In my cars computer, I have my fan turn on temps set lower, speed limiter removed (highest setting is 255, so I call it "removed"), and my electronic EGR doesn't open so my intake stays cleaner. I haven't gotten into the hardcore part of changing volumetric efficiency and changing my spark timing. I'm going to wait until my friend has time to teach me how to do that right to avoid screwing up my engine.

Last edited:

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
so pretty much what u r saying is we havent even touch the real capability of the lima or the dura tech. If this is the case we ultimately change the performance of these motors. but with that being stated talkn and doin r 2 diff things do to knowledge of the programs and access ability to these tuners. With what u just said what can our stock limas put out with there reprograming????

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
The reprogramming is only a support mod. It's not going to make your 4 cylinder breath fire after you do it, but if you have a bunch of other mods (cam, head work, exhaust, ect.) it will help your engine run to its optimum - if you know what you are doing with the computer. If I told you your truck could put out 200 hp more from a retune, I would be full of it. Now diesels is a different story, but they are a whole other breed of animal. When it comes down to what your engine puts out now, it all boils down to a few things. How worn internals are, mods, and how well it is running. First thing you do to an engine you are ready to tune is make sure it's running right. If you had a GM car that you wanted my friend that has been tuning them for years to tune, if it didn't run right he would tell you to go home and get it running right before he even plugged his laptop into it. Or for a 12 pack, I'm sure he would help you get it running right, lol.

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
yea diesels are another breed of animals. a simple reprogram will make them like king kong. i though t id ask.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
soo, some jet performance chip,or stuff like that can help to improve the engine's power?? i know its not just to add some chip and then u will have a 4cyl that beats v8's, but they really help right? but not as the complete reprograming that can be made too?
damn i would love to get a bit more power from my 2.5 :D but money is a bit restrained right now soo....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals